Looking out for neighbours

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Looking out for neighbours

Post by roddelmae »

I am absolutely incensed by what I read in the paper this morning. Granted, some of it may have been 'air-brushed' by the journalists, but still..........
It seems that an elderly couple have died in their home because of lack of care by local social services, despite neighbours contacting them and saying that they were at risk. Even their local MP was ignored when she bought it to their attention.
One of the neighbours conracted Age Concern and was told that, as she was not a relative, it was 'none of her business'. Unforgiveable.
Now an enquiry will be held so that 'lessons can be learned'. How many times have we heard that before?
The perception that me and a lot of other people have is that the people whose responsibility it is to look after the elderly and children are of one extreme or the other; either too dictatorial, taking children away from their parents at the drop of the hat, or too lapse in that insufficient care is given. They seem incapable of striking a happy medium, and seem sadly lacking in common sense.
I'm sure there are many who do their job very well, but unfortunately the bad cases are the only ones we hear about.
Do any of you look out for elderly neighbours? Would you report it if you saw an elderly person, or indeed a child, at risk? I do hope so; this couples neighbours looked out for them, but were let down by those whose job it is to provide the care.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Re: Looking out for neighbours

Post by Dave »

it is a shame when this sort of thing happens
there is no excuse

i have lived in my house for the last 12 years and during most of this time
(the last ten years)
i have done odd jobs for the couple next door
unfortunately the both died last year
they will be missed

their daughter has decided to rent the property out
and i have just spent this weekend moving the new people in
it the wife's best friend from work and her two offspring
so it looks like the odd jobbing will carry on
as she is getting on a bit (she has just turned 50)!!!!!!!!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Dave wrote:....as she is getting on a bit (she has just turned 50)!!!!!!!!

Watch it Dave! {warn}

This is so sad and just shouldn't happen. My daughter went to the old people in the vllage last week and got shopping lists from them and went to the garage shop for them. She got bits for me too.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

p.penn wrote:
Dave wrote:....as she is getting on a bit (she has just turned 50)!!!!!!!!

Watch it Dave! {warn}

My daughter went to the old people in the vllage last week and got shopping lists from them and went to the garage shop for them. She got bits for me too.

nice to see she helps all the old people
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

If 50 is old Dave, then I must be positively ancient. )gr:
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

You and me both then, Rod.
We have been watching over the neighbours next door. Maybe those the other side of me should be looking after us !!!
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

We had a knock at the back door last saturday, It was the old fella from 2 doors up saying his wife had fallen. We both rushed around to find her in pain on the bathroom floor. She had fallen on her hip again. We got the ambulance ( which came in 3 minutes). She had to go to hospital along with her husband who suffers from dementia and is profoundly deaf. He couldnt be left at home as he needs round the clock care. The house was a mess with accidents waiting to happen, I would have loved to do a good tidy up for them but they do have family locally and I dont feel I should interfere. Now she is in our cottage hospital and he is in Douglas at a secure unit ( he is know to go wandering) .I dont know what the outcome will be, these houses are not best for elderly people , having 4 floors and loads of stairs. Plus all the stuff collected over the years, filling every nook and cranny, I just hope she accepts some help and gets the family in to make things safer.
Looove chucks!