Circus animals

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Circus animals

Post by roddelmae »

The RSPCA is backing a government initiative to ban animals as circus acts.
Whatever your views are on this, the question is, what will happen to the animals if this comes into force?
They don't really think that circus owners will keep the animals if there is no income from them?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
p.penn

Re: Circus animals

Post by p.penn »

I'm not sure either Rod. I just saw the report. Whilst I do not approve of wild animals being ised in this way, I can't help feeling that perhaps a 'phasing out' system would have been more appropriate with no new animals bred or bought into the circus.

I also cringed when I saw the lady from the RSPCA extolling the virtues of space and welfare standards for the animals. High profile issue leads to funding I guess.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It is about time that this happened although I am not sure how far it should go; does a performing pony running around the ring with an acrobat on its back any crueller than a thoroughbred being forced to jump over fences at speed for the enjoyment of the punter? Is training a dog to jump through hoops any crueller than a domestic owner entering their pet into agility contests? Obviously the conditions of care after the event aren’t taken into account and I’d imagine that circus animals suffer more during the long trip between performances.
Elephants, bears etc should certainly be banned and would hope that the government will make contingency plans to ensure the safe and proper release of these animals to facilities that can care for them properly.
A final thought, is there an election looming? I just wondered why after all this time in office has the government suddenly got a conscience. I would suggest that this is more of a vote bribe than a well thought out policy and it would follow that the finer details of what happens to the animals has not been considered.
Bah Humbug
Sara

Post by Sara »

I will apologise in advance if i offend anyone or get carried away....

It is something which infuriates me continuously throughout the summer months when circus after circus rolls into our town and parades thier animals around the streets in cages barely big enough to transport a horse let alone a lion. Yes they drag these poor animals around the towns in temperatures of 40°+ for hours on end, no water, no food. Only exercise is in the ring..... They also have dogs, llamas, ponies ect...... For the most part under wieght, and in a very bad condition. A few years ago i was called in by an equine rescue society to assist with the rescue of 3 ponies.... I have never seen anything so disgusting, cruel,and downright barbaric as what i saw that day when inside the parts that the public dont see. I was horrified, and it takes a lot to shock me. Whilst thier animals are clearly fed very little, thier caravans are like palaces. )ang

There is an active organisation here to have ALL animals banned in a circus. The french see it as a normal way to treat animals. They for the most part arent bothered by the conditions in which these animals(or any animals whether domestic , zoo or circus) are kept and so rarely support such organisations although slowly things will change, or at least i hope so anyway.
I dont know what circus's with animals are like in england.... I refuse to go and will never allow Olivia to go to a circus here....
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Countries in Europe other than the UK seem to have a very relaxed view of animal welfare. {cry}
As mentioned by Sara, France is not very good in this respect, and neither is Spain or Greece in my experience. In both of those latter countries, you will often find ex-pats from the UK fighting a loosing battle rescuing dogs and cats and trying to re-educate the indigenous population, which is met with much resentment.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Very very true Rod...... Some french are changing and are very aware of cruelty but unfortunatly most just dont seem to care. {cry}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I thought animals had already been banned fron circus acts, certainly the exotics lions tigers etc {mr.angry}

Any animal that is used in a circus will be disposed of if a ban is introduced overnight, either sold abandonded or killed. )dwn:
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Any animal that is used in a circus will be disposed of if a ban is introduced overnight, either sold abandonded or killed.

Sad, almost certainly true but in some cases maybe a mercy.

It makes it a painful step but one that must be taken nevertheless, to prevent abuse to future generations of animals.
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

Post by velvetmoonchild1 »

you will often find ex-pats from the UK fighting a loosing battle rescuing dogs and cats and trying to re-educate the indigenous population, which is met with much resentment.

I have been to cyprus, fuerteventura and tenerife and have seen the various feral cat feeding posts around the complexes and towns. In tenerife they ran a neutering week by sending vets from the uk and trapped the wild cat population. the locals thought it a waste of money time and energy and scoffed at all this fuss over what they describe as pests.

Also the restaurant we sat in was close to a feeding station and all through our meal we had a very poorly cat with pus coming from every orifice sneaking his paw up from under the table to try to pinch food off our plates. I threw some fish away from the table to try to feed it but also to get him to leave the childrens food alone and the owners screamed at me for feeding it and asked us to leave once we paid our bill !!! yike*

Was very embarassing :oops: but the feral cats cause havoc with the outside restaurants and they lose business so they get angry with the feeding stations being so close.
We saw several that had been vandalised.

Lisa
Mum to two teenage boys,a deranged dog, an elderly incontinent cat RIP Newquay, two spoilt fish who I swear wag their tails when they see me and 1 welsummer, 4 light sussex, a speckled sussex and a bantam cross, 1 Bearded Dragon called Jade, a meal worm farm, I love chickens.