Taste buds v. ethics

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Mo
Legendary Laner

Taste buds v. ethics

Post by Mo »

I have unsophisticated tasted buds, but manufacturers seem to see Fair-Trade / Organic / Free-Range as 'added value' products, and go for the sophisticated tastes.
E.g.
1. chocolate - never mind all that talk about cocoa solids (or whatever it is), I like Dairy Milk, and if I'm giving myself an occasional treat I want what I like. But I feel that I ought to buy Fair-Trade.
2. Cheese. I know very well that the way non-organic milk is produced is not good for the cows, and I buy organic milk. But the Organic cheese is usually Farmhouse, which takes the skin off your mouth (I like my cheese strongish, but not too strong)
3. I wanted to buy my favourite chocolate cake while I was in Sainsburys ('serious small chocolate cake' or something). But I went for the one that was made with free-range eggs.
Not nearly as goooey. Tasted drier, maybe that was the nasty spiral of raw chocolate decorating the top. (I shall email them)

One bit of good news though. Tesco has started selling a mild organic cheese. It isn't particularly mild, more like medium. It suits me, so I'll buy it from now on.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Taste buds v. ethics

Post by AnnaB »

Try Fowlers (c) mild if you can get hold of it - it is a lovely cheese and the company only has a small herd of cattle.

Chocolate - fine if you want to eat pesticides. Fair Trade/organic will not be sprayed and neither will the families that live on the plantations.

Cake - most of them contain hydrogenated oil, make it yourself and you can see what is in it.