Trying to get the message across

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Trying to get the message across

Post by Meanqueen »

This is my effort at trying to get people interested in a more self sufficient lifestyle, while also getting them to think about different ways of recycling and re using their rubbish. I had a stand on Sunday at the local dog rescue open day, and took along all my home made items, plus raw materials so I could explain how to make things.

Some people told me they do think of other uses for rubbish, but I felt that most people did not understand. They asked me how much things were because they wanted to buy them. I tried to explain that it's too easy to go to a shop and buy something that has been shipped from the other side of the world, and what would they do if all the shops closed? They would have to make things then. I can't see that there will ever be a end to consumerism, untill there is no oil, metal, and natural resources left. Very sad.
Ilona
SouthernDave

Re: Trying to get the message across

Post by SouthernDave »

Meanqueen wrote:I can't see that there will ever be a end to consumerism, untill there is no oil, metal, and natural resources left. Very sad.
Ilona

Good job and some brilliant items there. How much is the bag?

Kidding! :-D

I don't think the drying up of resources will end the desire to buy stuff. And that desire is only sustained by the system that produces it. Cultural and political change is possible but it is necessary to have a clear understanding of why we have consumerism before alternatives can be put forward clearly and be listened to. Most people come the conclusion that there is more to life than working to earn to buy stuff, but the trouble is not that realisation, but the vacuum of alternatives.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Good on you Ilona for trying to spread the word... )t'

There always have been and always will be humans who have skills in different areas and enjoy using them...and those who have neither the skills or inclination to make or grow things themselves .....

It is good to read that those people who visited your stall showed there is a market for recycled goods rather than buying 'cheap imports from abroad'.....which is where the real problem of consumerism lies....
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Lots of lovely bags )t' I know what you mean about people not 'getting it' - most of us are so far removed from the production of all the *stuff* that we use every day that we really have no idea of where things come from & the real costs involved. Is it any wonder that there are children who don't know where bacon or potatoes come from.
wendy

Post by wendy »

That's a nice colourful stand and lots of good things on it.
But I fear you are beating your head against a brick wall :? .
Unless it is forced upon people they won't bother, as you say.
Well done
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Brilliant, well done for making the stand. Inspirational!

I think it WILL be forced on people, in the onslaught of the cuts we're facing as a society over the next few years. Or maybe it'll take longer - 50 or 100 years maybe, when Earth's resources are depleted to the point where we start treating them with respect. Eventually things will have to change, infinate demand in a finite world is not sustainable.

I read a good essay somewhere recently comparing consumerism to a drug addiciton or alcoholism. No matter how much we have we always need more and we don't even realise we are addicted.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The stall looks great Ilona.
I have to say I would have sold bags to those who asked, they are then going to be using an ethical bag and you would have had a few pounds in your pocket :-D
Ali
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very nice and a good message Ilona.

Mind you, I'd have taken the cash !

Well done

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Me too....that is what I would call win-win! Your stall is looking great. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

I've said it before and I will say it again Ilona ...I think your bags are fantastic and are a great way to use things that would ordinarily be thrown out and sit under the ground for how many hundreds of years.

On thing I don't get however is why not sell them? I know that you will need a certain amount of bags to get your message across but after that why not sell / pass on recycled products to the public?
After all the wonderful bags you have made you must have a surplus now...and if that's the case then you have recycled but they are not being reused......why not pass on something that has a greatly reduced carbon food print so that it keeps passing on that message?
Just think if you sell / pass on one of your recycled bags it is travelling around with someone...they go into the shops more people see them and people then ask about them....... it gets people thinking on a larger scale.

The sad thing is not everyone is committed to wanting to save the planet...some want to but don't want to have to pay for it.....some do but don't want / don't have the time / don't have the imagination.....that's where you come in.
The scale doesn't matter it's the message being carried forward that does.

I for one can't wait for the next idea you come up with )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you for your comments, you are right, I could start to sell a few now, so that they are being used and people see them. That way the message is still being passed on. I need to keep some however, because I am being asked to do talks on money saving and simple living, so I need a few for demonstration purposes.

The Morsbags on the other thread, I will give away. I am going to make some labels to attach to the handles explaining what it is all about. I have just made one out of a teeshirt, it is ok, but the sweat shirts make a more robust bag which can be put in the washing machine.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Seems to me there are 2 snags with your 'don't buy - make' stance.
One is that the whole structure of society is built round consumerism. Even the charities working to counteract the effects of our consumer society use it. Do you want to help birds? Buy something. Support Wildlife by buying here.
The other, as jannie said
There always have been and always will be humans who have skills in different areas and enjoy using them...and those who have neither the skills or inclination to make or grow things themselves .........

I used to make things, but if I try to make something that looks good as well as being functional I would probably use more resources (glue, thread, trimmings) than I saved.
E.g. home made cards may recycle pictures from old cards but they are stuck onto a piece of better quality card than the average bought card. So the result is much more personal and attractive if the maker is skillful, or has a special appeal if the maker is young, but if I did it would be an expensive waste.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Your bags bring back happy memories of childhood preparations for Christmas and the growing hoards of lavender bags, spill holders, kettle holders, calendars that we used to make to give to aunts and uncles.
I think it is a great education for children to make things.
And as a young mum at home I tried to make clothes, loose covers for chairs, etc. and grow all the veg. I could. But when children started school I wanted to get out and meet people so got a part-time job at a Playgroup (which hardly paid enough to cover expenses), so had less time.
If you are good at making 'something from nothing' it is a hobby. For me it doesn't come so easy, so my hobby is dancing, calling and folk music. I suppose that's 'making something' too, in it's way.

In my childhood 'make do and mend' was a way of life, and a useful habit that has stuck. Now, even if you want to replace a plug on an electrical appliance you can't because of the way it's made. I have had to throw away so many power plugs for the Laptop and Radio mike because of one loose wire. Grrrr. (But better that than idiots electricuting themselves)

You've started me thinking, Ilona. Sorry for going on so long.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

One more quicky.
Can you give us a link to the Morsbag thread, I don't know if I've seen it and I can't find it. Silly me, found it by clicking Ilona's name and searching her posts.
Last edited by Mo on 14 Jul 2010, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo wrote:Seems to me there are 2 snags with your 'don't buy - make' stance.
One is that the whole structure of society is built round consumerism. Even the charities working to counteract the effects of our consumer society use it. Do you want to help birds? Buy something. Support Wildlife by buying here.

Charities are big business, I don't believe that enough of the money raised by sales goes to the charity, therefore I don't buy goods from charities. I would rather make a donation.

The other, as jannie said
There always have been and always will be humans who have skills in different areas and enjoy using them...and those who have neither the skills or inclination to make or grow things themselves .........

I agree with what jannie says. My little bit will hardly make a ripple in the ocean.

I used to make things, but if I try to make something that looks good as well as being functional I would probably use more resources (glue, thread, trimmings) than I saved.
E.g. home made cards may recycle pictures from old cards but they are stuck onto a piece of better quality card than the average bought card. So the result is much more personal and attractive if the maker is skillful, or has a special appeal if the maker is young, but if I did it would be an expensive waste.

I admit I did buy blank cards to make greetings cards, they were £5 for 50, couldn't see any other way round it, but everything I put on the cards is either recycled or something I already had. I don't use glue, I stitched everything on. Made things don't have to look perfect, in fact the appeal of them is they look handmade, and not from a factory. People I have given my cards to said they will keep them because they are so nice.
Ilona