Saint-spoon's Autumn Carbon Challenge Guidelines

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Saint-spoon's Autumn Carbon Challenge Guidelines

Post by saint-spoon »

As the days get shorter many of us will probably be tempted to hop into our cars for those shorter journeys that we could (and probably should) be walking, riding, taking public transport for.
With energy costs on the increase and pressure to cut our carbon emissions I was thinking that why not have a bash at being frugal and environmental all at the same time. There are also the health benefits of walking and riding a bicycle to be taken into account (although I do already spend a lot of time in the gym (free at work)).
I have therefore decided to forgo my car this autumn and to ride, walk or use public transport where ever possible and to log my progress in a diary with car miles saved etc. As is always the case with DTL this is totally interactive so please come along and post your own diaries on your own carbon saving antics over the coming months......(Lord of the Lane’s idea and he’s even given our my own section for it).
There aren’t really any rules as it isn’t a competition, it’s a bit like the grow your own and frugal diaries, a bit of fun between members with a serious underlying message. As the weather turns for the worse we are more likely to hop into our cars rather than brave the elements; the idea is that we fight the urge and forgo our cars for the shorter journeys. In the long run you will save fuel and therefore money, this you can estimate by dividing the car miles saved by the fuel consumption figures from you car i.e. if you have saved 50 car miles over the month and your car does 25 miles per litre of fuel then you have saved 4 litres. It doesn’t equate directly into carbon but it’ll give you a measure of how well you are doing.
best of luck )t'
Bah Humbug
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Saint-spoon's Autumn Carbon Challenge Guidelines

Post by jannie »

What a month to start this thread.. }hairout{ ...Normally my lovely sports car spends more time being washed and polished than driven..I walk everywhere in the village and as most of the family live in the same village it's easy...I have a daughter living in the next valley but I always combine a visit with a shopping trip... )t'
So far this month..I've had the services of an ambulance.. and hubby also had to take his car to come home in ...a round trip of over 40 miles for both vehicles...next weekend I'm off on hols so a round trip of 70 miles to the airport..plus the flight..
Sorry !!!!! :oops: ..I think it's a good job everyone is cutting back on the fuel..if my month carries on like this DTl will have to join forces to offset my carbon footprint..... :oops: :oops:
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I live in Southern Ireland and out in the sticks so I'm afraid like others when I have to go out shopping etc its in the car, as its about 5 miles to my nearest Tesco. I can't walk or cycle as I am awaiting knee replacements. However we do help the Carbon here as bonfires and fireworks are banned. The only day we can have a bonfire is June 23rd which is a Saints Day.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good for you Maggie. It's difficult to cut something when there's nothing to cut.

Sure you're doing a grand job and thanks for posting.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kanita
Learner Laner

Post by kanita »

Thank you for sharing to us. there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. I would like to join your forum anyway so please continue sharing with us
kanita
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How did it work out SS.
You haven't had many takers, have you.

We have cut out mileage a bit, but more because of disinclination to drive 30 miles in the dark to the dance club we used to go to every week. And joined a Scottish dance club in the village instead. Just a couple of miles away so maybe we ought to walk to that - food for thought.
Time will come when we are too old to drive - I hope we recognise it when it does, not like the chap who has just been sentenced. So as a start we are cutting night driving a bit.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Not many takers unfortunately, I continue used to ride my bike or walk to work when it got icy. Our car has still only got 60,000 miles on the clock and it's eleven years old so we burn far less than the average. All my lights are low energy, I have a new cooker and fridge that are lower energy so we still strive to keep energy costs to a minimum.
Bah Humbug