saint-spoon's Carbon challenge diary

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

saint-spoon's Carbon challenge diary

Post by saint-spoon »

Day one, yikes it is raining but I have fortunately got the day off work. I have moved my original post and made a new sticky (as requested) in it’s place. Will post how well I have done a bit later.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Re: saint-spoon's Carbon challenge diary

Post by saint-spoon »

Ok yesterday was a bit of a challenge, rain followed by drizzle with rainy patches and torrential downpours. Rather than drive to the supermarket for a big shop I walked to the coop for a few bits and made do. Stayed in apart from that until the evening when a break in the rain allowed me to walk the two miles down to the RNA for a couple for a ciders (or twelve) with some chums.
Total miles not driven around 4 for the day....
This morning it’s not raining so I am going to hop on my faithful bicycle and head off to son-of-morris for some victuals and then vegetate listening to the football on the radio whilst I clean the fish tanks.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Had to use the car today to take some broken things down to the recycling centre however I took a small detour to the supermarket on the way back to pick up a few bits that I forgot yesterday. I am hoping that the weather holds out for the coming week as I don’t relish the cycle to work in the rain. I burn any toast either.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Not nice outside, black sky, heavy drizzle, cold and generally not ideal conditions for a comfy ride to work. Have just given my bike lights a test, they will suffice for today.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

A couple of Blinking cold, wet and windy miles into work this morning and a pair of resplendent return miles in the autumnal afternoon sun this afternoon. Simples.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I cycled to work this morning, cycled to the gym at lunchtime (which is only about a quarter of a mile), cycled back from the gym (which only seemed sensible given the options).after work I took the scenic route home via town (which adds about 5 miles to the trip), purchased some cheap plastic pots in which to freeze meals for DD and a poppy seed loaf. Saved around 8 or 9 car miles today at least 5 of which my legs are regretting after the gym at lunchtime.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Ok yesterday I clocked up some miles both on foot and by cycle. Firstly I cycled to and from work and over to the gym at lunchtime. I cycled around to a friend’s house (one and a bit miles) as there was a bit of a domestic issue going on (another story) didn’t help much, made my excuses and cycled home. Next I walk to the Jolly roger to meet some chums from work and ended up walking into town via quite a few other public houses (the reason I wasn’t online last night). And finally I walked back home. Non-car miles for yesterday is hard to estimate, and at least five or six I was in no fit state to drive anyway) so I’m going to give myself a round ten as a conservative estimate.
Today I have cycled to and from work (and to the gym lunchtime)and don’t intend to go out again as I’m worn out.........
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Been out in the car today, there really wasn’t much choice as we popped 20 miles up the road to see a friend. I did drive to conserve fuel by not putting my foot down and trying to keep the revs down generally. It is difficult when you have an 19 month old daughter to not use the car but I think that I am not doing to badly so far.
Bah Humbug
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t'
Keep it up.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

)t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Yesterday I had a plan, it was a good plan as plans go but as is always the way with plans stuff happened to ruin it.
We were invited to my Mum and Dad’s house for our dinner (bonus) so the car was going to get used for reasons of frugality and ease; the bus would be much more expensive for the three of us to catch with at least two changes with a pushchair etc. I decided to incorporate a trip to the local cheap tool warehouse place to pick up some LED bulbs for the kitchen which although quite expensive will drastically reduce the electricity consumption and they should last for years (according to the catalogue). A plan. Stopped at the tool place, ordered my lights and discovered that they only had one in stock but that they could get them in by Tuesday. A plan in tatters. Anyway we had a nice dinner but my masterplan for carbon reduction went by the wayside; not only did I fail to reduce kitchen lighting electrical consumption but I have now also got to drive back up to the tool place to pick up the remainder of my order. Oh well the best laid plans etc.
Rode my bike to and from work (with trip to the gym at lunchtime) and took a detour on the way home to the fruitier where I picked up some spuds for our tea and assorted fruit items for lunches.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Nearly forgot to mention but we popped into the farm shop on our way and I picked up a couple of pumpkins, decent sized but only a quid each because they aren’t perfectly pumpkin shaped. At least one part of the plans worked.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

cold cycle in to work this morning, I did consider donning tracksuit bottoms and gloves but opted to go without....regretted than ten minutes into the ride but got there in one piece despite the best efforts of rambling school children, school children on bikes, and mothers driving two hundred yards to drop their school children off at school.
Cycled back home via the shops where I picked up a crusty loaf.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know it was freezing this morning so well done you. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have got some great fishing gloves that keep my hands warm and dry but they are currently up in Scotland which isn’t much use down here.
Bah Humbug