Ilona - trying to do my bit for the planet

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Ilona - trying to do my bit for the planet

Post by Meanqueen »

Well that's a good start, RAC man arrived at 9.30am to look at car dashboard with lights flashing like Blackpool illuminations. Declares it is safe to drive but not a good idea to go a long way. I rang my one man band garage repair man who said he was busy till Monday but could look at it then. I decided against taking it to the main Ford dealer, so got RAC man to follow me to my repair man. Upon arrival his wife, the lovely Mandy, said isn't this a problem that Ford are doing a recall on, she rang up and asked. Indeed it is, if it is a cluster problem, and RAC man says it is, Ford are changing it as a good will gesture for £100. So off we went to Ford, and booked it it.

Now I have an empty drive, and I am awaiting their phone call on the verdict. This is all a bit of a nuisance, I need to go shopping because I have hardly any food left. I have been running it down so that my next shop is a big one, then I can use the £6 off voucher against a £40 shop. I also have to pick my friends up on Sunday, probably from Doncaster station if they can't get a connection. I could go to Testicoes on two buses, but that would take ages and I have a dog to look after. I really do need my car this weekend.
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Re: Ilona - trying to do my bit for the planet

Post by Stormrider »

Much as this might sound dodgy but I'd offer to help you out since I'm not all that far away.

Only problem is we have 2 cars, one is tiny and will be off the road from the 7th onwards (unless by some miracle it goes through an MOT easy - not with my luck) and the other is already off the road while we try to fix it (ordering parts today).

The plans for a nice bug 4x4 went out the window when we test drove it, like a donkey juggling bags of spanners...

Still, you never know in the future. (I'm just south of lincoln by the way)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Very nice of you to offer, Stormrider, I'll keep it in mind. I have a couple of plan B's. I could ask a friend if she is going shopping after 7pm (to get the reduced prices) or I could get the two buses each way after studying timetables. I might be able to sort out another friend to help me pick up my friends from the station. It's a bit up in the air at the moment, depending on if I get my car back tomorrow.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

hehe. Oh dear Ilona, you're coming over as if the world would end if you didn't have a car :-D

Now, the car sharing idea is excellent, we should do that more often.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes Richard, having a car is my world. That doesn't mean I drive it all the time. I am just as happy to walk the 5.5 miles into town if I don't have to carry too much stuff. I have an 8,000 miles per year limit on my mileage for a cheaper insurance policy, so I save up a few miles in the bank if you like, to allow for longer journeys.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah, sorry, I thought you had the wrong gist of what this Category is for, as it's to use the car less than we are.

I walk and bike a lot, but for this venture, I think the point is to squeeze that down even further by lessening our footprint more than we may be already. S-S will correct me if I'm wrong

It's 'I would have normally gone by car, but today......' therefore seeing what we have saved compared to before. It's not about what we're already saving and not frugality as in saving money.

If we're going to use the car exactly the same as usual, we're not changing anything.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

that just about sums it up Richard, thank you for clarifying the point. )t'
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The car is sitting on the driveway awaiting a spare part. It is driveable but maybe best not to untill it is repaired. I have been to town on the bus, paid my water bill at the bank, and withdrew cash. Quick look round the charity shops, picked up a few dog and cat treats at the market, just one hour in town.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

well done Ilona a few car miles saved.
Bah Humbug
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Ilona, don't the T**co's up your way have shopper buses? They have them here that pick up and set down from surrounding villages on different days of the week, and I think they are free. Might be worth checking it out?

I agree with you, I use my car for less than 8,000 miles a year, walk and cycle when I can and use trains for longer journeys, but being in a rural area with children it is really invaluable.

I have considered online shopping, but never done it as I actually enjoy having a poke about in the shop and I'm sure you'd miss a lot of bargains doing it that way.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sunny, we used to have a free bus to Tes&co every Friday, but they stopped it because not enough people were using it. I could use two buses each way, but they don't run at night, and I save a heck of a lot of money by getting the reduced prices. I don't usually make a special journey there, but call in when passing.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Meanqueen wrote: I don't usually make a special journey there, but call in when passing.
Ilona

Same here.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry, but I had to use the car today. I was on standby to pick up my friends arriving back from the USA, coming on a train from London. They were hoping to get a connection into Scunthorpe station, but there wasn't one, so they rang me to ask to be picked up at Doncaster. What could I do, I had to go, they are my friends, I was helping them out. On the way back the problem with the dashboard righted itself and I didn't have to guess what speed I was doing. I will still have to take it in for the repair because it might happen again, and I have promised, and they have ordered the part.
Ilona
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Don't apologies for using your car it was a planned event that was needed. I'm sure your friends will help you out in other ways, and if spreading some good will uses some natural resources, then so be it (IMHO)

I was thinking of going out for a drive today, the weather here has been filthy and the kids were winding me up so often i would have made up an excuse to go out in the car bymyself, but because i was thinking of this challange i didn't. I think it's those savings we should be proud of, and helping friends xxx
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just read Richard's confession, he sinned yesterday, that doesn't make me feel so bad about my sin. I had a phone call from Sue, my cat loving friend, she has a poorly cat and wanted to go to the vet. Sue doesn't have a car, but she has a few friends who help her out when needed. She rides one of those electric bikes, so her carbon footprint where transport is concerned must be very low.

Anyway I took her to the vet, about 10 miles round trip. Ooops, sorry.
Ilona