rainwater for loo?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Mrs B

rainwater for loo?

Post by Mrs B »

The title pretty much says it all.

I live in a single storey bunglaow with 2 toilets, is there any system I can buy which uses the rainwater for flushing toilets? If yes could the same system feed the washing machine or would that be a step too far?

It is not so much about saving money on the water bill but more about reusing waste water.

Also my drains smell like rotten eggs, I frequently pit a descaler through the dishwasher and washing machine but we still get the smell. Shouls I just bite the bullet and get the drains rodded (although they flow freely and don't seem to be blocked) or is there something I can put down all the drains to clean them all?
Steve the Gas

Re: rainwater for loo?

Post by Steve the Gas »

Starting with your drains.............
It needs investigating why they are smelling. It could be the required traps are being pulled/ emptied due to incorrect plumbing and flows - this allows smells to backtrack.

Grey water use is fine for bogs etc, doubt I would wash clothes in it though.
You need a collection system and a pump or gravity fall arrangement................... )t'

Try goggling it.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

....and if the water board find out they will probably try and charge you. Years ago we used to have serious problems with the water supply. I live at the top if a slight incline, coming up from the main part of the village. "Severnus Trentus" decided to put a small pumping station at the bottom of the lane and a complete new system of pipes up the lane, connecting each property into it. To say the least it caused chaos with the lane dug up and then more holes for each property. To cut a long story short, they switched off the old system and on with the new and I had no water. Imagine it, about 5-6 horses out in paddocks, sheep, chickens and up to 8 people in the house. They offered me bottled water. Anyway I have 2 wells and another underground tank and when I, not too politely must admit, told the man I would open these up he said they would charge me. I said you ******** try, if you can't provide the water then I will get it from the natural sources. The outcome was they switched off the new system and put the old one back on so I had water.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Don't think they can charge for a diy rainwater harvesting system.
I wouldn't tell them about it either..................
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Google, "using rain water" and there is loads of info for systems for collecting and using to flush toilets.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree, they pump the 'save water - save energy' at us all day long, so anything environmentally friendly and doing something like this has to be positive I';d have thought.

They'd probably go down the health and safety angle I suppose.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

have you considered the low tech bucket method? )j;
Bah Humbug
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks all, I will get Mr B to do some research on it in a couple of weeks, it will give him something to do and make him feel useful.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

{warn}
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

I seem to rememder that on one of the "its not easy being green" programs they were going to be charged for using water from a stream that ran through their ground. End of the day the water companys are out to make money
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

try

http://www.lowimpact.org/factsheets1water.html

the whole site is an absolute wealth of information.
How did I ever find the time to go to work