Helen's carbon challenge diary

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
p.penn

Helen's carbon challenge diary

Post by p.penn »

Well, reducing my carbon emmisions is going to be tricky for me as I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't cycle, so a car is a necessity. Having said that, when I changed my car from a 2 seater to 4 to accomodate 2 grandchildren, my car had done under 6,000 miles in 5 years. So I guess that is pretty good anyway eh?

Saved some today by being poorly so haven't driven to work.

I kind of think my diary is going to be full of 'didn't do this' or 'decided not to do that', but in my way I will try and do what I can.

I deliberately didn't burn the toast this morning either to save carbon emissions. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Re: Helen's carbon challenge diary

Post by saint-spoon »

p.penn wrote:I deliberately didn't burn the toast this morning either to save carbon emissions. :-D

that is incredibly environmentally minded of you Helen.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you SS. I thought so too. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yesterday I quite impressed myself! I had a hospital appointment and was dropped off while Mr Penn went away to do some shopping in the nearby town. I arrived really early and was seen and out before my appointment was even due, so to give him some browsing time (and to save carbon emmisions )grin2( ) instead of ringing him to come and pick me up, I walked the 15 mins down to the town and rang him when I was in the high street and we met up there.

I am trying to put just below the minimum mark into the kettle when I want a cuppa, as it is still enough for a mug full. I turn it off manually instead of waiting for the auto off to work too. Saves electricity.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Not done terribly well really for a few days. My daughter hurt her back last week so I had to use the car for extra school trips and back home again. }hairout{

Having said that, while I was in a neighbouring village dropping the kids off, I took the opportunity to visit people, which I wouldn't have done normally.

When my granddaughter came for lunch, I burnt the first batch of bagels to charcoal in the toaster. It was a real waste but will this extra carbon in the atmosphere affect the planet?

Other than that, not been anywhere other than work or dog walking.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

As I have to drive to work, I have been trying a different system to save carbon emissions - I have been driving slower. I have been cutting 5-10 mph off my usual 70 on the main road. I don't want to go below that really as I think it is dangerous to drive slowly on fast roads and much as I am trying to cut my carbon usage, I don't want to cause an accident. I am also trying not to change gear or brake unless absolutely necessary.

Every little helps so I am led to believe.
Helen xx

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Very true Helen, it does help and it’s nice to see that you’re not just giving up even though you do need your car for work.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Exactly and good thinking Helen, maybe that will bring a few more people into this Project.

It's not about simply using the car, it's about how you go about it as well, even when you buy a new one, buy a low footprint model, also saves on Road Tax, so it has a frugal slant as well.

)c(

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

My OH thinks that people are generally going slower recently. He's tweeked his car in various way including removing a cat!! His comsuption has dropped dramatically by the tweeks and driving slower and we don't seem to have so many people rushing past us on fast roads.

Good move PPen i was thinking of how i can compensate for the car use for work, i just need to drive my car like i drive his....
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Does using the car radio and electric roof affect anything too? Just a thought.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Today, instead of driving 3 mins so the dog can walk without having to go on her lead (as my arms are poorly), I bit the bullet, put lots of painkilling cream on and walked her up the road instead.

Right now I am thinking that may have been a bad idea!
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well today I took the dog to her walk in the car. Felt bad about it but really suffered yesterday.

I feel very frustrated that I am unable to walk her on lead as I love it so much and would much rather do that than go in the car. Needs must though and I guess that is what the car is for.

Reheated tuesday's leftovers for dinner for 4 of us, saving on oil for the cooker. That was something at least. Also did gardening with my granddaughter instead of cake making.
Helen xx

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I prefer cake to garden )gr:
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

except beer gardens )t'
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon