Does anyone not use an Electric Kettle

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Does anyone not use an Electric Kettle

Post by Meanqueen »

I think I'm going to use the microwave for drinks more often, I've just had a mug of hot fruit juice and it didn't need as long as the coffee did. I dont drink tea so that's ok. I think I will have to hide the kettle though because my hand automatically reaches for it, hang on a minute, I cant do that because I need it to heat water for the washing up. >dum<
Ilona
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

........and the washing down )run(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

erm....yep :oops:
Ilona
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

{rofwl}
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I use an electric kettle, but I fill in to the top & then fill a flask with it. Normally it's just me at home, and the flask lasts all day, plenty hot enough for me. I do drink tea, but only when the kettle's freshly boiled
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a good frugal tip LBF.

)t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I used to use a kettle on the hob, but after I ruined the second one by leaving it to boil dry :oops: I now use an electric one.
Definately more frugal as you can boil smaller amounts .
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Used to use a whistling kettle on the hob, but my kids are so impatient and objected to waiting for the amount of time it took to boil, and went out and bought an electric one. Like others we only put in as much as we want to use and I rarely boil a whole kettle full.
On the odd occasions that I drink coffee and its just me here, I use one of those drinks machines that have little `pouchy` things. Makes nice hot chocolate but the coffee isnt really hot enough, added to which the pouches can work out a bit pricey if thats your only form of hot drink.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

I was going to suggest the thermos tip LBH shared too! )t'

It's also a handy tip if you have elderly relative. My gramps can carry a flask to the table next to his chair with less risk of spilling than if he tries to carry a mug.

I have a diddy little electric travel kettle that does exactly 2 mugs, so it is perfect for the 2 of us without boiling more water than needed.

I tried microwaving water for coffee once, but it "exploded" and all flew out of the mug like a mushroom cloud. Maybe I set it wrong? It did give the microwave a good steam clean though. :-D

S xx
[center]We now have a cream egg skelter, blessings on Pippi, Penny and Poppy who fill it for us.[/center]
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

wintertime when i have the logburner going ,i place a kettle full of water to boil,i make adrink and the unused water gos into a tremos,the kettle isfilled up and put back to keep warm,that can then be used for washing-up,that means i dont have the waterheater on over winter,have shower for washing,so saving on eleic,plus the stew pot sits nicey on the corner of the logburner,so dont use the cooker much,last years eleic bill over the 3 coldest months was down by £360,well pleased. my daugther has a kettle that only heats the water as you pour the water out.
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????