WASHING AT 30 DEGREES - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Hellebore
Lively Laner

WASHING AT 30 DEGREES - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!

Post by Hellebore »

I couldn't think why my electricity consumption increased by about £20 per month, I was still being my usual economical self switching unecessary light off, barely using the tumble dryer and not leaving electrical items on standby etc. It's not that I am mean you understand, I just prefer to spend my money on nice things like little treats for myself and my chooks rather than lining the pockets of EDF. Anyway, then I realised that the increase started when I started doing most of my washing at 30 degrees. My washer is a hot and cold fill. If I reduce the washing temp to 30 degrees it fills with cold, heats then water and then maintains the 30 degree temp' during washing. If I wash at 40 degrees it fills with hot from the combi boiler and maintains this heat during the washing bit of the cycle. My machine is now over 8 years old and uses quite a lot of water per load so it is actually heating up a fair amount of water from cold. I started to keep an eye on my electricity monitor when the machine was on, although I can't recall the exact figures there was a noticable difference between the two methods, the 30 degree wash being a few pence per load dearer. While I am all for doing my bit to reduce damage to the planet but I'm afraid £240 per year is a bit too much for me. I have since changed to using soapnuts for coloured stuff anyway and they only work at 40 degrees or higher so all is well again, no chemicals and cheaper electricity bill. :-D
Steve the Gas

Re: WASHING AT 30 DEGREES - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!

Post by Steve the Gas »

Thats what I was referring to re dishwashers - same principal )t'
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

That is very interesting. I do most of mine at 30 apart from towels and bedding.
I have economy 7 but have just been told by E-ON that it is not right for me as I need to use at least 40% of my electricity over night for me to benefit. I do send the dishwasher round during the night and clothes when I can. My tumble dryer is emergency only. I tend to do alot of 1 pot cooking for myself.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I have an American Top loader, for several reasons.
1, it has a huge drum which we needed when the kids were all at home.
2. You can do a small load and a medium and a large load.
3, I doesnt have a thermostat, but takes in hot water directly from the tank upstairs.
4.It only has 4 programmes.
5. The longest hot was is only 45 mins and still has 2 risnses and spins.
6, you can still load as its filling up, so if you forget something you can pop it in.
You can re-set it if you chave chosen the wrong amount of water to go in, as you are loading.
7. If you lift the lid during the spin it shuts down totally, so if it is off balance, you can ajdust the contents and it then carries on from where it left off.
Although initially the machine cost quite a lot to buy, it has lasted far longer than any other we have owned without any problems.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Very interesting~
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

The trouble is that it isn't as simple as that. We have been trying to do similar calculations recently and haven't reached any definite conclusions. Although the machine uses more electricity to heat the water, the water is still having to be heated, so your gas bill will be higher. Using gas to heat the water should be a bit cheaper than using electric and it should still be a better option but then you have to take into consideration that heat will be lost through the pipes between the boiler and the washing machine.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Unless the boiler is a mile away- the heat loss is minimal, insulate the pipes to improve this. )t'
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I'm not disagreeing Steve, you may be right. Another factor that has to be taken into account though is that you are heating the water an extra ten degrees. Far too many variables for me to get my head around.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

Steve the Gas wrote:Thats what I was referring to re dishwashers - same principal )t'

which way is more economical with the dishwasher then steve?
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

How interesting! I've just accidentally bought some "wash at 30" washtabs and can't be bothered to take them back to change so am going to use them up. Hadn't occurred to me 30 might not be more economical!!!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

TBH, dunno, but if I have pre heated water stored - why should it heat cold water up and be cheaper??
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

My combi comes on at least as low as 30 deg.
So shouldn't it be possible to lower the temp cut in on your boiler?
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

Partly relative in that its a combi/electric heat comparison, we have just gone from an electric 9kW shower to a combi driven thermostatic mixer shower and the savings are quite noticeable, not calculated as yet, too short a period of time plus the shower quality is so much better. The combi also feeds the washing machine and my daily electric consumption has definitely dropped since we had the combi put it.

As to economy 7 viability I seem to remember talking to scottish power about this and to make the eco7 viable and avoid the £50 cost of a meter change I believe we were talking about figures around 4% off peak consumption so I would suggest your energy provider is just looking at ways to screw more money out of you. We run a dual fuel system with off peak and the two do run happily side by side, the off peak was there to run storage heaters which we no longer use but still have two in place just in case.

sorry i ramble but working out the best angles in energy costs is kind of a hobby of mine, best economy move i have made lately though not the greenest is blocking the chimneys when we came off burning wood
How did I ever find the time to go to work
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

combi boilers flash up purely on hot water demand simple as that, temp doesnt come into it! and the central heating thermostat if enabled of course
How did I ever find the time to go to work
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

2 rate leccy is way more expensive if you don't utilise it....