WASHING AT 30 DEGREES - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: WASHING AT 30 DEGREES - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!

Post by redoak »

Some combi boilers have an internal storage tank of some sort and if you've got it on the preheat setting they will keep firing so that tank is always hot for instant use.

I personally don't like combis, give me a proper hot tank any day. I know they do have some advantages, but to my mind they are outweighed by the disadvantages.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

sorry to disagree Steve but even with off peak usage as low as 4 units per day it is still more economical, admittedly by as little as 4% than a normal tariff, and 4 units can be easily increased by running a tumbler or washing machine over night, we use 4 units in the off peak band every day and thats with a combi and no immersion heater.

beauty of our off peak in the winter is it switches over at 20:30 so we get the late evenings on the cheap also, but I have just done the comparisons on my provider of off peak against standard tariff same terms and the off peak definitely comes out in front
How did I ever find the time to go to work
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

morning redoak, I was a combi sceptic until we had one of the new ones put in and to be honest its very efficient, cheap to run and subject to your wallet provides limitless hot water, something a water tank will never do. The preheat purely keeps the heat exchanger up to temp and saves more on water usage than anything in that you don't have to run loads of water to get the temperature up

main advantage to us is we have fitted a thermostatic shower rather than an electric one, a vast improvement with far better temperature control and again unlimited use, and against electric, very cheap
How did I ever find the time to go to work
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Steve the Gas wrote:TBH, dunno, but if I have pre heated water stored - why should it heat cold water up and be cheaper??

I dunno either but when I try to stip this down to it's bones..............I can see that it is better, environmentally, to wash at a lower temperature.

Financially, I understand there may be a differerence. Even so, I find it difficult to believe that heating a tub full of water to 40 degrees centigrade, using gas would be cheaper than heating a tub full of water to 30 degrees centigrade using electric. The pre heated water you have stored still has to be replaced and that uses energy.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Pyrotech
Learner Laner

Post by Pyrotech »

I recently tried to find a hot fill washing machine to take advantage of our solar hot water supply , no real luck.....wife adds a few jug fulls of hot with the wash , which seems to work. but our machine heats the water from cold when we have a tank full of 40+ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh