Italians ban plastic bags

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Italians ban plastic bags

Post by Richard »

Have to say they've gone straight in with this one. From today, all Retailers have to only replace with bio-degradable and will be heavily fined if they don't.

Do you think they are leading the way? Will we follow suit or sit on the fence like we do about many things?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8234027/Plastic-shopping-bags-to-be-banned-in-Italy.html

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Italians ban plastic bags

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I wonder which of the Italian politicians have a major share in the company that makes biodegradable bags?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
perchy

Post by perchy »

Totally Scrambled wrote:I wonder which of the Italian politicians have a major share in the company that makes biodegradable bags?
Dom

+elf+
wendy

Post by wendy »

Cynic Dom {rofwl}
I think that is good, I doubt we will do anything about them permanantly for years to come yet.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I worked it out that if you have say 30 million do the shopping (exc. kids and only one person doing shopping) etc., each person would use about 13 bags a week.

Does that make sense?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Post by perchy »

Richard wrote:I worked it out that if you have say 30 million do the shopping (exc. kids and only one person doing shopping) etc., each person would use about 13 bags a week.

Does that make sense?

Richard

yes it does, but what will they do will all the ones they have in Italy that are not recyclable +confused+
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I wish they would ban them here. It sickens me to see people with a trolley load of stuff packed into twenty new plastic bags. There is plenty of opportunity for them to buy a bag for life, why don't they get them at the checkout?

It is easy to make cloth bags as well.
Twentyfour bags made out of curtains.
Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Very nice Ilona, are they some new ones that you have made? I did wonder if you had turned your bag making skills into a cottage industry (as suggested in a post last year). For the record I never use disposable supermarket bags these days, we have enough long-life re-usable ones.
Bah Humbug
perchy

Post by perchy »

saint-spoon wrote:Very nice Ilona, are theysome new ones that you have made? I did wonder if you had turned it into a cottage industry (as suggested in a post last year). For the record I never use disposable supermarket bags these days, we have enough long-life re-usable ones.

Me too I love them, have some nice ones too )t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I did have one that I had repaired (son-of heavy duty one that I had over filled with heavy stuff) as the handle was coming away. Unfortunately my ability with a sewing machine and knowledge of bag technology was sadly lacking and I ended up throwing it away……
We have one of the heavy duty ones in the kitchen in which we store our glass recyclables (sauce bottles, jars etc (and before anyone says anything I don’t generally drink bottled beverages)). Once it gets full it’s off to the recycle centre with any other bits and bobs that the council won’t take away.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote:Have to say they've gone straight in with this one. From today, all Retailers have to only replace with bio-degradable and will be heavily fined if they don't.

Do you think they are leading the way?

Richard

No.
I hate biodegradable bags. They turn into plastic snowflakes and limit reuse.
Someone on this forum who was very anti-plastic reminded us that the bits end up somewhere, the fact that they are smaller bits is not necessarily an advantage. In the sea they just get eaten by mistake by smaller creatures.
I reuse all my bags, for freezing, or for the apples I give away. I try not to take any, the trolley goes out to the car and I load into boxes.

I know we should be doing something about plastic but I think biodegradable bags is a blind alley.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't use either. I have a great M & S bag really big.
Also our Council gave away material ones a couple of years ago. So no need to make my own. Which wouldn't last the course.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

T*^cos ones biodegraded in my cupboard which seems totally pointless when I was keeping them for reuse.

It has already cost a lot of eco-pounds in production, so that is a total waste as they will just have to produce more, and more resources used and more pollution.....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The bags for life that the supermarkets sell, for about 10p I think, can be exchanged for new ones FOC, when they have fallen apart.

Yes, these are my latest bags. I was hoping to sell them at the school Christmas Fair to make some money for my friends Cat Rescue. We only sold two bags, no one wanted them. We put them on at £1.75 each, perhaps this wasn't the right place to sell them, a lot of children were there. I saw some bags at a craft fair, for £5, and they weren't half as good as mine.

I don't want a cottage industry, it would be too much like a job. I make a few when I feel like it, it's a hobby.
Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes they are 10p and yes, are replaced free when they break or wear out and where I work we recycle the old one (don't know about other supermarkets).

What I am trying to say is that perhaps biodegradeable bags are not necessarily a satisfactory eco friendly substitute for other bags as they don't last and still eco -cost to produce. If you know what I mean?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com