Green Washing and Personal Care

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
SouthernDave

Green Washing and Personal Care

Post by SouthernDave »

We have been trying to cut down on the amount of chemicals and junk in our home we use and have tackled the washing with the help of Ecover products mainly, and cleaning by using those microfibre cloths that only add water as well as other natural based products and whilst not eliminated 'normal' cleaning products so far, we have seriously cut down on their use.

We are now looking at personal care, notably hair washing, body washing and deodorising. Most of our 'normal' personal care products are full of chemicals and synthetics and we have been looking with mixed success at alternatives. Before we go to far, though, can anyone tell us if the chemicals involved in most shower gels and shampoos are harmful as not all chemicals or concoctions are? We are also struggling with alternatives as even those marketed as 'green', 'ethical', or even 'natural' in health food shop seem to have much the same stuff in as more mass produced stuff, so I am not convinced it is much difference aside from the bottle and the advertising and of course the higher price!!??

So do you use alternatives for personal washing/grooming? Recommendations? Avoidance?
LittleBrownFrog

Re: Green Washing and Personal Care

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate) and parabens are the main ones I look out for and try to avoid.
I ditched shampoo for ages (about 18 months) and used bicarb and white vinegar instead, but have now gone back to Faith in Nature shampoo - which we have in our local health food shop & is normally reasonably priced.
You can buy deodorant stones (sometimes called crystal deodorants) and lots of people swear by them - they don't work for me though.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Why worry lets all just be smelly!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I use the deodorant crystal, it works for me.
I don't like the idea of antiperspirants, seems wrong to block natures cooling system.
When we were kids Mum used to wash our hair with lux (soap flakes). That was a frugal measure - we also used washing up liquid if we wanted bubble bath!
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Martin Lewis wrote an excellent little book which lists all the alternatives to modern chemicals. It's called 'Thrify Ways for Modern Days' and they have it on Amazon (used) for 1p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... rtin+lewis
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

I have seen that on there-do you have it? Any good?
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Yes I do have it. And yes, in my opinion, it's a good book. It is only tiny, about 3.5 inches square, but has lots of hints and tips.
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

I might have another look then, thanks!
manda

Post by manda »

- I use the microfibre cloths too , pretty good eh?
- I use soapnuts for clothes washing and I like those so happy to stick with them.
- I use the crystal sticks for deodorant...I like them better than most deoodorants
to be honest and more effective.

- Hair I have been investigating (I've got long hair)...so far the one that has been a good wash and the nicest smelling has been:

Mix 1 part aluminum-free baking soda to 3 parts Water you need to give it a shke every time you use it). Massage it into your scalp then leave on for a couple of minutes. Rinse it out.

Mix 1 part White Vinegar to 4 parts Water. Add your favourite essential oil/s or herbs. I went with a "recipe" for this that was on One green Generation - add 1 cinnamon stick (which lasts through several bottles of mixture) and 1/2 tsp vanilla, it masks the vinegar smell, and leaves your hair smelling spicy and lovely.

It's still a work in progress for me I will keep looking coz you never know there could be something I like better....wouldn't mind trying it with Ylang Ylang ( I love the smell of that).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

I did try making the handwash you can make supposedly using the soap nuts but to be honest I didn't really like it although to be fair it did wash :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

I heard of someone using oats as a shampoo, but I havent been able to find out what they do with it. It is also good for putting in the bath instead of water softener or bubble bath (it doesnt bubble, of course, but it does make your skin feel soft apparently).
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

My Brother-in-law used to use egg yolks for hair washing (not sure if he still does) - I'd imagine they are very conditioning. What would you do with all those whites, though?
manda

Post by manda »

rhubarb93 wrote:My Brother-in-law used to use egg yolks for hair washing (not sure if he still does) - I'd imagine they are very conditioning. What would you do with all those whites, though?

......Meringues )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

silverleaf79
Learner Laner

Post by silverleaf79 »

I've been using bicarb and apple cider vinegar for months now, and I love it.

I mix it up fresh every time (because I don't like it use it cold, to be honest) in a couple of 250ml bottles that had smoothies in them originally. One bottle gets 1tbsp of bicarb, the other 1tbsp of vinegar plus a few drops of essential oil, whichever smell I feel like at the time.

Both get filled up with warm water from the shower. Bicarb solution rubbed into scalp (but not length, as my hair's dry and tends to frizz), then rinsed out. Vinegar solution along the whole length, left in while I have a quick wash everywhere else, then mostly rinsed out.

It leaves my hair much softer and shinier than all the anti-frizz stuff I used to use before (special shampoo, conditioner, occasional hot oil, serum, mousse, gel, shine spray, curl definer) and I only get frizz now if my hair needs washing and I go out in the rain (still it's nowhere near as bad as before).

I also use a little coconut oil (from Asian food shop) on my wet hair, plus a home-made hair gel. 1/2 tbsp flax seeds boiled for 10 minutes in 250ml water, strained and left to cool then 5 drops of essential oil added (I like lavender because it's antibacterial and helps the gel keep longer). Lasts for a few weeks in the fridge.

I find the bicarb really helps with my flaky scalp dermatitis/eczema, my hair is much healthier and I'm saving a fortune. :) Plus I love how shocked people are when I tell them I don't use shampoo or conditioner.... ;)
silverleaf79
Learner Laner

Post by silverleaf79 »

RuthG wrote:I heard of someone using oats as a shampoo, but I havent been able to find out what they do with it. It is also good for putting in the bath instead of water softener or bubble bath (it doesnt bubble, of course, but it does make your skin feel soft apparently).

Don't know about using oats as shampoo, but on the rare occasion when I use a face mask it's one that I make from coarsely ground oatmeal made into a paste with rosewater and a couple of drops of rose essential oil. It's a great exfoliant and leaves your face really really soft and smells yummy at the same time!

Actually I've had porridge in my hair before, and it's a complete pain to wash out. Please don't ask how I got porridge in my hair. You really don't want to know! {rofwl}