Leave packaging at the supermarket.

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Leave packaging at the supermarket.

Post by Orfy »

I've been doing this for years.

When I go through the till I remove some of the packaging and either ask the cashier to dispose of it or I leave it by the supermarket bin. It probably has no effect but it makes me feel better and I don't have to get rid of it when I get home.

I think if more people did it then the supermarkets would listen and do something about excess packaging.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
ChrisG

Re: Leave packaging at the supermarket.

Post by ChrisG »

At least taking it home ensures it ends up in recycling and not in landfill.

But in principle I agree with you - there is afr too much packaging. Why does something have to wrapped individually, then wrapped in sets, then wrapped as a complete package. And then the checkout person asks if you want it in a small bag before you put it in a big one +confused+
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

OH does that too but i think the thicko's in our local supermarket will just stick it all in the bin. I think supermarkets should be forced to accept back their packaging to recycle :?

Good to see you back Orfy, don't leave it so long next time )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Orfy................how nice to hear from you again. Was thinking about you only earlier this week. )t' {hug}
I think that its time to start prosecuting retailers for the amount of packaging they use.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Thanks for the re-welcomes :)

I think they should be made to comply with the weeeee (or is it weee?) directive.
That's when a company is responsible for taking back all of the waste it sends out to the customer.

They are making profit from it so they should have to pay for the proper disposal of it.

They can do it two ways. Actually collect and dispose of all of the waste or pay the people who actually do it.

For example if costs the council £250 a year per household to dispose of their supermarket waste the the supermarket should pay the council £250 a year per customer and we should get a £250 reduction in council tax.
Or the supermarket should supply each customer with a bin and come and collect the rubbish once or twice a month.

That would make them think about it!
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

It's all so simple -If only common sense were spread out a bit more !
Good to see you back.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Orfy wrote:I've been doing this for years.

When I go through the till I remove some of the packaging and either ask the cashier to dispose of it or I leave it by the supermarket bin. It probably has no effect but it makes me feel better and I don't have to get rid of it when I get home.

I think if more people did it then the supermarkets would listen and do something about excess packaging.

We did that recently. A$DA had croissants for 6p each, one late evening so we bought a ton. The package each had two inside and there was more packaging than bread. We were walking and here we were filling up 4 big bags just with the croissants , all because of the packaging; after removing, it fit into 1 bag...what's that tell you~ )scare(
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I must have missed this last year.

I too have done this for years. I have been accosted by security guards more than once and a supercilious manager once ordered me off the property. I think he considered banning me, but as I always write to head office if I am questioned he was out of luck.

If anyone decides to do this be patient with the gawkers and ALWAYS email and write to the Head Office and tell them that you are doing so. I do this every couple of months and list the items I consider to be the worst offenders. I rarely get anything other than an automated response but occasionally I get a letter thanking me for my time!

My decision to leave notes in the fruit and veg seems to have caused some interest. I noticed someone elses little note last week... a complaint about the weird bags the apples now come in (all vented and overly printed). I may branch out into other aisles and see what happens!

Well, don't I sound like my grandmother - all tetchy and snooty??
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Boy do I ever agree with everyone here! I'm so sick of boxes and shrink wrap. I did see something the other day when I was checking out at the grocery store. In the next checkout, a couple were buying a lot of groceries, and she pulled out about ten cloth bags and they did not take any plastic or paper bags home. I know I have four or five of them myself, just have to find them.