save the wombats

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

save the wombats

Post by Meanqueen »

This snippet caught my eye in the Guardian. Ken Henry, Treasury Secretary in Australia, has been questioned by opposition politicians whether he should be allowed to take five weeks holiday to volunteer to look after endangered wombats in Epping Forest national park in Queensland.

With high inflation, interest rates and fuel prices rising, the leader of the opposition is concerned about who is going to look after things, and he will miss an important Reserve Bank board meeting.

Henry is a passionate conservationist, he said, 'The Northern hairy nosed wombats are in imminent danger of extintion, this place doesn't stop when I'm not here.'

Well good for him is what I say, he's my hero
^pl}

more here

Ilona
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Well done Mr Henry!!! Power to the wombats! How many more species are going to be allowed to become extinct??
I recently borrowed a dvd called Sharkwater. It explains the plight of all kinds of shark. They are being hunted to extinction just to have their fins removed for soup!!! There is now as much money to be made in fins as there is drug running and a mafia protects the fishermen from the authorities )de: Anyway , I will stop now )de: )ot:
Looove chucks!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

)ot:

I could really go off on one about sharks but won’t. O.k. maybe just a little bit, killing something and only keeping the profitable bit is plain awful. How greedy do you have to be to act so disrespectfully towards a living thing? The least you could do is utilise the whole animal. It’s as bad as the fur trade IMO.
I did wonder if a lady on the box a while back campaigning against a mink farm was wearing real pearls or not; it amounts to the same thing when you think about it.

Anyway well done for the work towards saving the wombats, if I remember correctly they are facing the same a so many other species, habitat destruction and pressure from introduced species (in this case dingos, rabbits, feral pigs and moggies).
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Any animal conservation is a good cause to work for, the point I was trying to put over was that Mr Henry decided that helping the wombats was more important than carrying out his professional duties and attending the board meeting. I think this is admirable when everyone else is worrying over the cost of living, it goes to show that there are more important things to consider than lack of money.

Ilona
)t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a really good story. Someone with a view on life outside of Party Politics.

Wombats and all creatures on this Planet except us don't need a mortgage to live, just a lot of survival battles against the humans who do have one.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just read this. Good for him.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning