Meat eaters. Would you?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Meat eaters. Would you?

Post by kitla »

Lots of our foods are already very messed around with, intensively kept animals
pumped with antibiotics & fed allsorts to make them grow quicker, veg grown without soil, milk from modern breeds of cow has a different (& some claim harmful) form of protein than old fasioned guernsy/jersey. I dont think this meat would be any worse
for us than some of whats on offer now.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Which is why I think I'm lucky as I grow my own....as for "chicken nuggets" unless I make them myself I don't consider them part of any food group :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

the fascinating thing keep coming up in the discussion is "shortage of food". When I was in college (many years ago), my project was to determine whether a particular protein source (in this case it was actually a bacterial product designed as animal feed) contained all the "essential amino acids" for it to be an ideal solution for world famine. It was more of a scientific project than social but I researched that side of it as part of the conclusion. Interestingly, manufactured food to solve the world food shortage problem is not new - and so Quorn was born (read more about it in Wikipedia)
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Fascinating use of technology! Obviously we would all prefer to eat naturally grown, non-intensively farmed meat, but if this can produce reasonable quality meat for those on low incomes, I think it is infinitely preferable to intensive farming. No animal suffers here, and as has been said, cheap meat is already produced using antibiotics and growth promoters so no different really.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Facinating to read about the history & controversy around quorn - thanks Lancashire Lass.
It certainly didn't end up as the saviour of the starving poor, in fact I doubt if Quorn is any cheaper than meat!

Rhubarb93 it's true this could be a way to provide low quality food to people on low incomes without being cruel to animals. But shouldn't the goal should be to improve the quality of food for everyone (without being cruel to animals!)?

Maybe we should all just eat less meat (but please don't get me started on HFW! )j; )
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Talking of HFW, here he is answering questions now over at the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... l-livechat
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I don't have the money to do the things I want to. Rather than eat "lower quality meat" I just eat less meat.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Orfy wrote:I don't have the money to do the things I want to. Rather than eat "lower quality meat" I just eat less meat.

Ditto - we make one chicken breast do two meals for two by adding veggies and/or making pies.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

No, I wouldn't eat it - even if I was paid to. But then I'm a dinosaur, or an alien, or maybe both, I really, really don't like the way the world's moving now. I just wish I'd been born 200 years ago, I'd have been much happier. (I think, anyway )grin2( )
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I wouldn't fancy eating it, at least not on a regular basis. I might try it once just to say that I had. I don't eat quorn or margarine or anything else that would be impossible to create in my own kitchen, so I am considered a bit of an oddity.

I am not sure I would have been happier if I had lived 200 years ago though, Redoak. I would have died from appendicitis when I was 13 years old.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Me too Redoak. Maybe we got off the same spaceship.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I wouldn't eat it.

You know the 'shortage of food thing' is rubbish. As a world as a whole, we produce more that enough to feed everyone on the planet. It is the distribution of food (which of course involves far more complex issues like distribution of wealth, resources, political elites, etc etc) that is the problem.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

p.penn wrote:I wouldn't eat it.

You know the 'shortage of food thing' is rubbish. As a world as a whole, we produce more that enough to feed everyone on the planet. It is the distribution of food (which of course involves far more complex issues like distribution of wealth, resources, political elites, etc etc) that is the problem.

)t'
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

manda wrote:Which is why I think I'm lucky as I grow my own....as for "chicken nuggets" unless I make them myself I don't consider them part of any food group :?

My dad is trying to teach my youngest to say
"Chicken nuggets are not real food, bring me the grilled seabass please"

He has a way to go, she's only just mastered "mummy" LoL
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Babycakes wrote:
My dad is trying to teach my youngest to say
"Chicken nuggets are not real food, bring me the grilled seabass please"

He has a way to go, she's only just mastered "mummy" LoL

{rofwl} )grin2( {rofwl}