Veal

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Veal

Post by saint-spoon »

Ok so this might be a contentious subject but should we be eating more veal? It has been on country file this evening. Janet Street-Porter raised the subject in one of Gordon Ramsey’s programmes. According to Countryfile tonight compassion in world farming is pro British pink veal. I have long felt that the male calves from dairy herds should not just go to waste and have tried to get British pink veal but the supermarkets are reluctant to sell it because of the very effective anti-vealcrate campaigns of the 70s and 80s (I am not pro veal crates). Surely it is less ethical to just dispose of male calves because they are of no financial use than to fatten them up for human consumption.
As an afterthought I do truly believe that it is criminal to waste such a valuable source of protein because it is seen as being cruel, milk production will not go away anytime soon so the male calves will continue to go to waste unless we make British Pink Veal fashionable again. Veal is not cruel, not eating it is IMO.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Re: Veal

Post by saint-spoon »

the RSPCA are also on board.
Bah Humbug
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I totally agree, it is a criminal waste not to make use of the male calves. Things have moved on from the veal crates and providing meat produced in this way doesn't creep back onto the market, I think it is a great idea.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm with you on this one. I heard JSP talking about it on the radio a while back, but it wasn't something I'd thought about until then (other than the blanket 'veal is evil' stance that I remember as a child). That said, I don't think I've ever eaten veal of any kind ... I've never actively looked for it, but have never noticed it either.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

I agree with you, all the way~
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think that the unnecessary disposal of male calves in the dairy industry just isn't publicised enough. It seems to me a wicked waste.

Mind you, lets be honest here. Mass food production is about profit. If animal welfare can be acommodated within given profit margins, then it may stand a chance. If not, it just isn't going to happen. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

True.
Veal also gets a bad rap because we're talking about ickle baby calves here.
The cynic in me can't help but notice that it is relatively easy for most people to take a 'moral' stance and give up veal, largely because it just isn't a regular feature of most people's diets. Ask them to give up chicken for the same reason, and it's a different matter.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

When I was young I lived on a farm which was a mixed arable farm. We ran a dairy herd which we bred from, some of the heffers being grown on as replacements and the rest for sale.
The bullocks were raised for meat and we also had an old style veal calf station, which looking back on it, was probably cruel but at the time just seemed normal.
The only animals we slaughtered other than for meat were ones that had birth defects that would have caused them suffering. The occasional one was raised to adulthood to either to replace our existing bull or to swap to keep the bloodlines fresh.
Nothing, except cockerels, were culled just because they were males as everything was used either for our own consumption or for sale.
I used to love a nice bit of veal but, as Spoony says, it is very hard to come by nowadays. There are of course those who see any animal being raised in anything but natural conditions as cruel. Each to their own but most of these animals wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the fact we eat them and it is a fine balancing act between profitability and caring for them in a humane way and what is considered as humane, changes with time
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Totally Scrambled wrote: most of these animals wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the fact we eat them and it is a fine balancing act between profitability and caring for them in a humane way and what is considered as humane, changes with time

I couldn't have said it better myself. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

well said Dom
Bah Humbug
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I have eaten it and it's lovely, british Rose Veal gets my vote to stop this evil waste of an animal.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've not tried Rose Veal as I've just never seen it anywhere. As a kid I used to eat the old style veal until I was old enough to understand how it was produced. I didn't realise that male calves were culled in this way and agree, it's a criminal waste. As long as they are raised ethically I'm all for it )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I,ve never eaten Veal, and to be honest havent really thought about it. I watched the article on veal last night, and it did sound like a waste of a resource. If it does become fashionable to include veal on the weekly menu, how does it compares price wise with other cuts of meat?, as I think this could be a determining factor to encourage more people to eat it.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

As a rule it is a bit priceier as there isn't so much of it about but if it became popular I suppose the price would come down.
Dom
Ali Woks My World