The Kindle - Devil's Advocate post

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: The Kindle - Devil's Advocate post

Post by Grannyof4 »

Personally - in my opinion- you have to be an avid reader to make it pay. Libraries are good places for books!!! Charity shops, which is where I get mine from and then return them either to the same one or another or recycle them through a recycling site.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I've had mine nearly 2 years ago now and I love it !!.. Hubby bought it for me because of the amount of books I read on holiday.. but it's becoming more important to me as I've developed rheumatoid arthritis and can't hold the weight of books for long .. I still buy books ..mostly practical ones like gardening, cooking and children's books.. so my ridiculous collection of books is still growing .. I have never used a library as I don't like parting with favourite books once I've read them :oops: and I was further put off library books when I went to my son's student digs and saw them piled up on the loo floor sile}

As for the vast coniferous forests planted for paper production.. the forestry commission has well and truly learned their lesson with the devastation caused by the Phytophthora ramorum pathogen .. their replanting plan is now for mixed woodlands so perhaps as the kindle creates less of a demand for paper it is good for the environment :?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Jannie re your comment on library books, when I used to get 3/4 a week for Mum, before she read them , she gave them a good going over with a wad of cotton wool soaked in disinfectant, of course that was only the plastic cover, she had to risk the pages,though never failed to wash her hands after a reading session . Its true when you say -you don't know where they have been ! )loo( yike* {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Oh I've seen where they've been Annie !! .. definitely )loo( yike* {rofwl}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

very good point, you never know what bugs can lurk on the pages of a book.
Bah Humbug
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'll be impressed when they make the first water proof one. I like to read in the bath and fall asleep and like to read on the beach and backpack in storms.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Orfy wrote:I'll be impressed when they make the first water proof one. I like to read in the bath and fall asleep and like to read on the beach and backpack in storms.
Well you are very naughty Orfy as its dangerous to fall asleep in the bath {warn}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Annie wrote:
Orfy wrote:I'll be impressed when they make the first water proof one. I like to read in the bath and fall asleep and like to read on the beach and backpack in storms.
Well you are very naughty Orfy as its dangerous to fall asleep in the bath {warn}

Only if you're shorter than the bath.
I just drop me book and it gets wet.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Yes it surprises me how polarised people become on the subject of a kindle as if it's an either or situation :?
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

While not owning a kindle, the opinion I have formed of them is that it is merely just an other mode to reading a book that suits some peoples needs. A little like in music the vinyl (analog) versus CD, MP3 etc (digital) debate that has never really championed a winner/loser as both modes have their advantages/disadvantages.

Digital books have been with us for a while via home computers, the Kindle is just another vehicle to store/execute them. Digital books like digital photography will be with us permanantly and I would suspect eventualy out perform paper in the commercial world.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
manda

Post by manda »

Someone I work with bought a variation but it was called a Laser (I think) multi media centre...had the same capabilites as the kindle but in addition she could put music on it, stores photo's and play videos... so it was multipurpose...can the kindle do that?.... I don't know.

Anyhoo I thought that was quite a good idea because then you don't need anything else do you - everything in one gadget...if you went camping/travelling you could take books, videos and your music to listen to if you needed something to while away a bit of time.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

A gadget has been out for a few years now Manda where you can view video, store media ie music and pictures, take your own pictures and video, get on the tinterweb and with some you can even make a phone call :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I love my kindle and I love my books too.

I tend to use the kindle for buying thrillers, potboilers - stuff like that - if I was buying say a nice history book I would still buy a proper book as photo's dont show up at all well on a Kindle. The great thing with the kindle is you get to the end of a book and if there's a part 2 you want to read you can download it in a few seconds.

It's true that the Kindle is great for the elderly, visually impaired etc and I would imagine that the speech facility on them will become far more sophisticated as they progress which would be another great feature for people with sight difficulties.

I do doubt how eco-friendly they are - the trouble with all technology is that it progresses so quickly that within a year or two you want the new/better model that's been developed since your purchase!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I can't get excited about kindles. £90 seems like a lot of money to spend upfront, before you get any actual reading material.

Mind you, I felt the same way about ipods for a long time. Mine goes everywhere with me now. I don't LOVE it though, like I love my turntable. :-D :-D
Pyrotech
Learner Laner

Post by Pyrotech »

As its titled devils advocate, I'll have a go at the idea that managed forests are environmentally sound. Most are species poor non native monocultures. Walk around a couple, the ground is barren compared to a natural or native forest.

I think the most environmental option would be a private library, with very high fees paid for the original books , like rental dvds, (about £80) plus a fee per book loan. far fewer trees and no electronic pollution... An a loaned book is just as effective against kids.