Water - the North South Divide

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Water - the North South Divide

Post by Richard »

An advertisement appeared on my facebook page for Reservoir Walks in Yorkshire

If that were for walks in Kent it would be 'Walks in Reservoirs around Kent' !!

Seems silly in this day and age that we have a Country split for natural sources. The North have too much and the South have hardly any - yet they can't get it down here!

I realise the infrastructure and the costs, but surely !!!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Water - the North South Divide

Post by Annie »

Actually Richard I am not sure how good the Yorkshire walk would be either as I believe that is a county also under hosepipe ban so it would seem their resevoirs are also pretty low.
Tell you what - you find the way to siphon some of your excess sunshine up here and I am sure the canny Scots will find a way to get our extra water down to you {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I heard a programme about using the river system to move water about, and how this might not be a good idea, as it mixes the ecology. Some rivers flow over limestone and others come from peat bogs and the wildlife is different or something.
At least I think that's what they were saying. I heard it ages ago.

Like anything else that we use a lot of, it has consequences. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Maybe we should just cut down.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Mo wrote:I heard a programme about using the river system to move water about, and how this might not be a good idea, as it mixes the ecology. Some rivers flow over limestone and others come from peat bogs and the wildlife is different or something.
At least I think that's what they were saying. I heard it ages ago.

Like anything else that we use a lot of, it has consequences. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Maybe we should just cut down.

I never thought about the impact that moving water about via the river systems could have on the local wildlife Mo, but as you say , nothing like a free lunch.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The water table in our part of the East Riding of Yorkshire has been low for over a year, but the ditches and dykes are nowhere near dry. We have water lying in the fields near us, the land is low lying, with a clay soil. The recent rain has, however, filled all our water barrels up, and we have not had to water for several days.

Interesting to read about the Yorkshire Reservoirs, Richard. Top Hill Low, which is actually near Driffield, is a bird sanctuary, and I got told to clear off on my last visit some years ago! It is a beatiful place.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

We havent got 'too much' Richard, we havent had much rain for a good 6 or 8 weeks, if we were to send any down south, it would leave us short come the summer.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting reading, maybe I took 'north' too generally, there was certainly something on the news about excess in the North.

Do you not think that all homes should be made to have a Water Meter.
Surely a Meter gets people thinking more on financial saving lines which in turn saves the resource itself?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

I must admit, we use a lot of water, in summer I wash my car at least once a week, I have an irrigation system for my hanging baskets and when I re did my bathroom, I fitted an 1800x800 bath and it takes a lot of filling. I also think nothing of jet washing my drive down if it looks a bit manky.

My water bill is £550 a year, I'm not sure I would save money by having a meter.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We're not in a hosepipe ban area, but we are still reasonably careful with our use of water. The reservoir that supplies us looks 'ok' to me, not as full as I've seen it, but certainly not empty (I can remember walking across it as a child and being able to see the remains of the hamlet that was flooded to create it). That said, we pay a small fortune for our water down here, so I think there would be a riot if they tried to impose a hosepipe ban!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:I realise the infrastructure and the costs, but surely !!!

Funny how some countries with a more serious need of water in certain areas can do it but not on this tiny island :?

We already have a partially built infrastructure that could be mended where it has gone into disrepair, filled in, dismantled or gravity in the round direction - before we had dedicated highways for cars and lorries, we had waterways and canals that transported goods across the country. Surely this could be a possible solution to moving water great distances?

Mo wrote:Maybe we should just cut down.

Today we seem to use a lot more water per person than we did in the past - I'm inclined to agree that usage is disproportionate to availability of resources but it takes a hose pipe ban for people to have to rein back. Population growth and new housing will also demand the need for more water yet the very areas that are regularly in short supply seem to be where demand is highest. If it wasn't for technology and expectation that something will be done to fix it, pre-historically a non viable area would simply be abandoned.
hel
Lively Laner

Post by hel »

I believe that one of the ideas for the canal system in this country was to be able to move water around to areas that need it, unfortunately the infrastructure was not kept up.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

We do have an infrastructure in place that can move water around the country. Canals.

Ship us some Money up and we'll ship you some water down.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Can't help wondering if it would be easier to move people...
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Stig, don't say that we don't want our beautiful northern countryside filled up with southerners!!!

The whole reason there is the north/ south divide is to keep those pesky southerners down!!
)w(
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Barb!!! {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.