whale wars

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

whale wars

Post by saint-spoon »

I was watching Whale wars on the box earlier, for those of you who are unfamiliar with this TV Programme it is about a couple of boats that go out and disrupt the Japanese “scientific Research” whaling vessels. They use a number of different techniques including throwing stinky aicds onto the already dead whales which taints the meat and makes it unsalable. Anyway I really didn’t realise how much of a problem this still is in the world until I read and article in the BBC Wildlife magazine which was about canned whale meat being openly on sale throughout the east via online retailers, there was even a bit about the Japanese subsidiary of one of our bigger online retailers openly selling the stuff until pressure from environmental organisations pressured them to stop. Some of the products include canned meat, whale stew and the rather intriguingly named whale bacon.
I have nothing against certain ethnic groups such as the Inuit harvesting limited numbers of certain species of whale so as to be able to continue their traditional ways of life but I do find the wholesale slaughter of such magnificent creatures repugnant especially as it continues quite openly under the thin veil of a lie.
Bah Humbug
Oheckitseck

Re: whale wars

Post by Oheckitseck »

saint-spoon wrote:I was watching Whale wars on the box earlier, for those of you who are unfamiliar with this TV Programme it is about a couple of boats that go out and disrupt the Japanese “scientific Research” whaling vessels. They use a number of different techniques including throwing stinky aicds onto the already dead whales which taints the meat and makes it unsalable. Anyway I really didn’t realise how much of a problem this still is in the world until I read and article in the BBC Wildlife magazine which was about canned whale meat being openly on sale throughout the east via online retailers, there was even a bit about the Japanese subsidiary of one of our bigger online retailers openly selling the stuff until pressure from environmental organisations pressured them to stop. Some of the products include canned meat, whale stew and the rather intriguingly named whale bacon.
I have nothing against certain ethnic groups such as the Inuit harvesting limited numbers of certain species of whale so as to be able to continue their traditional ways of life but I do find the wholesale slaughter of such magnificent creatures repugnant especially as it continues quite openly under the thin veil of a lie.

)app( )app( Eck
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I have`nt seen the programne SS but would agree with you on what you say. Whale meat was used in UK during the war for food and apparently it stunk to high heaven. this following bit is )ot: in some respects but along same lines as the killing of whales for food. Have you read anything about the dog meat for human consumtion in the East. I saw an photo in paper of live dogs due to go for human food but had been rescued, it was pretty gruesome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I am probably opening myself up for a stoning here but I watched a documentary on the dog meat trade in the east, I can’t remember what country it was but I think that it was either Korea or Thailand. It was a bit of a funny one because like the whale meat thing it was an illegal trade that carried on openly. Anyway the chap presenting went around and had a look at the dog farms and the parallel was drawn between them and pig farming elsewhere especially when you consider the conditions pigs live in countries such as Mexico. For us the dog is a pet, a friend, a companion and many other things whereas in other countries such as in the east they see them in the same way as we see pigs. I know that many of our chicken keeping laners no longer eat chicken as they now see them as pets, same process I suppose. I wonder if we could persuade the Japanese to keep whales as pets?
Bah Humbug
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

The persistence of the Japanese whalers fills me with horror, they seem not to care what the rest of the world think. Just barbaric. How do they get away with it?