more methane for the atmosphere

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

more methane for the atmosphere

Post by saint-spoon »

An interesting article about the vicious circle that is global warming; essentially as the planet warms up the Arctic defrosts and Methane that has been trapped there for tens of thousands of years is released increasing the levels of it in the atmosphere, Methane is a big problem greenhouse gas.

report here
Bah Humbug
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: more methane for the atmosphere

Post by silverback »

I also read an article saying the the largest C02 emissions come off the oceans! :? , they were also saying about the ammount of methane cows produce!!..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mo put a link to an interesting site about factory farming and the effects on the climate. I have seen a thing about agricultural run-off causing planktonic blooms that produce vast quantities of CO2 as well as causing widespread destruction of the ocean environment as they strip the oxygen from the water.
Bah Humbug
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Climate change stinks.......or should that be Methane. Whatever, no substance.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

May be nothing new - looks like the dinosaurs were a bit on the windy side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

Pavel, I assume you don't agree that there is Global warning. Maybe Methane all on it's own won't destroy our Grandchildren's Planet, but it's the pennies that make the pounds, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
It was interesting they said the Titanic Memorial Voyage a few weeks back was well free of hitting any Icebergs now as they're melting hundreds of miles north now!

I'd have thought there's well enough evidence by now, even if we weren't absolutely sure, better safe than sorry!

I'm way off being an expert and could go with a 'I won't be here in 50 years time anyway'. Maybe we don't notice it so much in this Country.....or do we!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

The problem with all this is, for one expert that says yes, another expert will say no! :? .
We are bombarded with facts and figures, arguments and counter arguments, the planet has been in the grip of global weather patterns since the day dot!, world tepatures have been up and down, depending on the expert you are listening to!.
When you have the likes of Asia and China, America and south America pumping out tons and tons of CO2, and I get taxed to death because I eat to many beans, or drive my car to the shops etc, it reminds me of a saying that Sean Locke the comedian said, "it's a bit like turning up to an earthquake with a dust pan and brush!" }hairout{ ....
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Agreed in many respects, we can do what we can but when our neighbours are spewing nasties up in the sky, some of which land on us, it's no fun.

But like I said, better safe than sorry, even for those who don't believe there's Global warming, it's not a bad thing to have a bit of clearing up.

We're custodians of this Planet and I don't want my future ancestors saying, it's was in Great Great Pop Cannon's day that it all went wrong and they did nothing about it.
If the Planet as we know it is still around of course!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Richard wrote:Interesting.

Pavel, I assume you don't agree that there is Global warning. Maybe Methane all on it's own won't destroy our Grandchildren's Planet, but it's the pennies that make the pounds, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
It was interesting they said the Titanic Memorial Voyage a few weeks back was well free of hitting any Icebergs now as they're melting hundreds of miles north now!

I'd have thought there's well enough evidence by now, even if we weren't absolutely sure, better safe than sorry!

I'm way off being an expert and could go with a 'I won't be here in 50 years time anyway'. Maybe we don't notice it so much in this Country.....or do we!

Richard )t'

Richard
While I will agree there is some creedance to global warming, I am a great believer that Mother Nature will compensate.
I personally think that it is by the most part a Con. Yes we must be aware of looking after the planet,That I totally agree. We are being conned by successive governments, into paying for the green issue. It is in my view a despicable over reaction, with the sole intention of generating ever more revenues out of the population, for tax gathering purposes.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Pavel131 wrote:
While I will agree there is some creedance to global warming, I am a great believer that Mother Nature will compensate.
I personally think that it is by the most part a Con. Yes we must be aware of looking after the planet,That I totally agree. We are being conned by successive governments, into paying for the green issue. It is in my view a despicable over reaction, with the sole intention of generating ever more revenues out of the population, for tax gathering purposes.

Agree totally with you, It just seems so unfair that "We all" get taxed because of the green issues, there we are recycling paper, cardboard, tins, garden waste etc, when the likes of Asia, Russia, the Americas and China are kicking out the emissions they are with next to no control }hairout{ .
You have only got to go back as far as the 70's, there we were being warned of going into a mini ice age :? .

Of course Its bad to pollute the enviroment/planet {warn} ....but Its ok so long you pay for it?? +confused+
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

We as a country; take to much issue in following the rules. Be it, Global warming issues, and general edicts, regarding the EU! {mr.angry} We are far to compliant, WHY What are we scared of? almost no other country has ever bothered to follow EU laws or guidelines. We pay a disproportionate amount of money into the EU. What are our politicians afraid of?
I am not ordinarily, a believer in conspiracy theory's, but this is one that makes me think really deep about it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

silverback wrote: Of course Its bad to pollute the enviroment/planet {warn} ....but Its ok so long you pay for it??

I think the idea is that if we make the polluting things expensive and the green options cheaper people's self interest will come into play.

For so long we have thought the environment was free. Throw it into the nearest river, or burn it and pollute the air - that's cheaper than other methods. Well it shouldn't be cheaper, we all pay for it in health and wellbeing.

So if wasteful people are taxed and it makes them think twice - GOOD. And if they don't change their ways maybe those who do deserve to pay less tax.
Not saying that governments have the incentives right in all ways, but that must be the way to go.

Our country became rich by taking what it wanted from the rest of the world and the environment. 'Bout time it started acting responsibly. (and the US of course)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Mo Wrote:
Our country became rich by taking what it wanted from the rest of the world and the environment. 'Bout time it started acting responsibly. (and the US of course)

I agree Mo, however, don't forget what we have given to the world!, also the bulk of the WORLDS economy is based on consuming fossil fuels, until that changes, I can see little progress!.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I would suggest that those scientists that refute global warming and the link to fossil fuels are most likely employed by the petrochemical industry; up until quite recently there were experts denying the link between tobacco consumption and lung cancer (and other nasty diseases).
Bah Humbug