Is this right?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Is this right?

Post by Spreckly »

My neighbour with the beautiful garden has just told me that councils are bringing in rules and regs whereby poor souls like OH and me can get them to enforce neighbours with really untidy gardens to do a clear up.

Has anyone seen or read this? My neighbour adjacent to us does not cut hedges, garden, or tidy the mess made by her six dogs. If it is right, it will be wonderful. At present she has a weeding looking Wisteria growing over two of her upstairs windows. Outside the front door is a massive dock and we frequently take ivy off our wall which has crept over from her "palace".
wendy

Re: Is this right?

Post by wendy »

Not heard of it, I am sorry to say. It may have solved your problems.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Our councils seem to have different rules to the English ones anyway so I can't help either - would be great for gardeners plagued with untidy neighbouring gardens - weeds are no respecters of boundaries for a start off
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Yes I saw it in paper this morning, about time that people made accountable for their mess and disruption they cause to their neighbours.
My next door neighbours back garden has been covered with debris furniture etc, they have now moved it outside against my fence so when I walk out of patio doors I am confronted with settees bed black bags of rubbish etc. This is not the first time, last lot they left against our fence was there for over 6 months.
I completely sympathise with you Spreckly and the problems you are having with your neighbours.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Although I think this may be a good idea, what will happen to the old people who are unable to look after their gardens. Where I used to live there were a few older residents, luckily for them a couple of the men in the street used to cut their grass and tidy up hedges for them - in a neighbourly way, not for money or anything.

What happens to a widowed lady who isn't able to take care of her own garden and cannot afford to pay someone? :? I find that sad.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I can't find anything on it on the Internet Spreckly, unless its come into action today. Perhaps they are just talking about it. However this might be of use to you.

http://www.primelocation.com/guides/leg ... arden-law/
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the link Maggie. Son next door, in his mid twenties, not given to straining himself, said he would cut the hedge about three months since, still not done it, and birds are of course nesting everywhere. Also said the same last year!

Mrs Boodles I feel for you too. Why on earth people leave their junk outside beats me. We were treated to a bathroom suite for several months a few years ago, and more recently either a tumble dryer (which they have going all day sometimes), or a washing machine.

Neighbours on their other side have put their house up for sale, we are sorry, as they were our allies in the fight against the mess. But for them, it will be a great escape.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

When we had our first house it was a council house and on the back of the rent book were two rules that you had to adhere to that I remember. First was that you had to keep the garden in a tidy state and second you could only have two animals per house.

Having said that if the greenery is overflowing onto the public highway, they have authority in our area anyway to make you cut back hedges/bushes etc. So poss a phone call to the Highways Dept may reap some benefits. They send a letter to you and if you dont do the work they specify they get someone in to do it and then charge you.

Not read anything recently on this though.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Well, on Friday, next door son (mid twenties), came out in the afternoon and started cutting the front hedge, not touched at all last year. My other neighbour thinks they must have seen the news item, which was on TV. Apparently they are getting a caravan, hence the activity, and son has also said that he will sort the back garden hedge as well.

I am not holding my breath. And at least the front hedge looks a lot tidier. They actually cut the grass as well.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Hurray at long last Spreckly. I remember my old neighbours husband was ill with chest problems and her neighbour just let the garden grow. Both owned their own houses. It got so bad that my neighbour went to the council saying that she had asked so many times for them to do something, and as her husband was ill with chest problems could they do something.
They wrote him a letter saying if nothing was done in a fortnight gardeners would be sent in to clear it and they would be charged. He ignored their letter as well. The outcome was the council sent gardeners round and it was cleared and they had a bill for nearly £400.
So perhaps they've had a letter like that so they have done something
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Maggie, one can but hope. Would like to see the back garden cleared, it is a jungle, and as for the hedge.....