no more shampoo

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

no more shampoo

Post by ChrisG »

After my unfortunate episode with Macrodantin (an AB to which I had an adverse reaction), my hair has been falling out a faster rate than normal. So I thought I would try going 'no shampoo' for a while to see if it made any difference. There has always been the uneasy tension between keeping clean and all those chmicals added to the body and their impact on the environment as I flush them down the bath/shower/sink.

So yesterday I decided to try the bicarbonate of soda and cider vinegar method of hair washing. I put 1 TBS bicarb in 1 cup water and shook it well to mix (put it in a jar with a lid forst - didnt want it splashed all over the bathroom yike* ), then poured it carefully over my wet hair. It did seem vewry dilute, but then it also felt like there was at least something on my hair. I massaged it into my scalp as recommended then rinsed (a lot - didnt want dried bicarb in my hair!) To my surprise, the rinse water was actually dirty - so the stuff had taken the dirt out anyway; that was a good sign. Then I put 1 TBS apple cider vinegar into 1 cup water and poured that all over my hair too, left it for a while, then rinsed again - lots - didnt want to small like a chiop shop all day! Then left my hair to dry naturally. [Part 2 in a minute]
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
saint-spoon

Re: no more shampoo

Post by saint-spoon »

My hair fell out ages ago so I don’t ever use shampoo… turtle-was and a buffing cloth work just fine. {rofwl}

best of luck with your bicarb odyssey.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

[Part 2]

At first, once it had dried, it felt a bit 'tacky', but after a good brushing out, there was no tackiness, no small of vinegar - just clean, soft hair!

I had heard that bicarb can make hair very dry if you get the quantities wrong - and I have naturtally dry, frizzy hair anyway. So this morning, I wasnt surprised to find it was a bit frizzy. But again, after brushing, it settled down and seems thicker than it used to be - I am told that is because it isnt being held down flat by all the chemical residues from the ordinary shampoos I had been using. It certainly feels different - I can feel the individual hairs for one thing. So for now, I am happy with it but whether or not I continue - only time will tell.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

saint-spoon wrote:My hair fell out ages ago so I don’t ever use shampoo… turtle-was and a buffing cloth work just fine. {rofwl}

Being both female and vain, I really didnt want to go bald! A wig just isnt the same.
Chris xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

saint-spoon wrote:My hair fell out ages ago so I don’t ever use shampoo… turtle-was and a buffing cloth work just fine. {rofwl}

{rofwl} {hug}

I was thinking about 'dry' shampoo the other day - do you remember that? I wonder if that had bicarb in it?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I think dry shampoo is mostly talc. I've used that on the odd occasion when I wasn't well and didn't want to wash my hair. Brush it through and it works fine for a day or two.
But the bicarb/vinegar route sounds interesting - looking forward to the update.
manda

Post by manda »

Funnily enough I was talking with a friend today about shampoo...she uses Neem soap to wash her hair and said when she uses shampoo she has to wash it every day but when she uses Neem soap she washes it once a month sometimes longer!!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

shampoo is definitely one of those things where 'the more you use, the more you need' I think. It strips so much oil from your hair, and your body responds by producing more, so you wash more often- vicious circle.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I have read that the bicarb and cider vinegar regime, once it has stripped the chemicals from the hair, will mean that the hair might get greasy due to just that effect that LBF has poointed out. However, if I stick with it through the couple of weeks that this might happen (ie the hair producing more of its own natural oils) then it evens out as the glands that produce the sebum settle down.
Chris xx

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

That is certainly how it worked for me - although the greasy spell wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had been expecting.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

It's now three weeks or so since started the 'no more shampoo' experiment and it still amazes me how much dirt just simple bicarb gets out of my hair :shock: I hadnt realised it got so dirty in the first place. There has been none of the greasy spell, and my hair hasnt gone dry and brittle either. Just super clean - squeaky clean in fact, squeaky like it has never squeaked before.

Bonuses: No dandruff - and I mean none. Before, there were always flakes visible no matter how well it was washed and there was a residue on my hair and scalp that isnt there any more. My scalp is really flake free and clean.

Also, I have had psoriasis on my scalp for over 30 years and in the last three weeks it has progressively improved to the point where there is little itching and no lumpy feel to that part of my head )c(
Chris xx

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Your thread is interesting Ruth. I shall observe it closely. Wasn't there some discussion last year, or early this year about none shampoo?

My hair has got progressively thinner over the last few years. Diabetes may be partially the cause. I find that it is much happier the day after it has been washed. At present I am using Do..ve shampoo, which is gentle. But I was using Av..on products, and their shampoo to thicken the hair doesn't seem good for mine. I only apply one dollop of shampoo instead of the recommended two. I am also finding that the longer it grows, the easier it is to manage.

My Father always washed his hair with soap, and he had a beautiful head of hair.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Me too :-D
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have had an interesting conversation today with one of our builders, who sports fantastic dreadlocks. He washes his hair every four days, but wears a hat whilst working. I asked him what he used, and he told me about Dr Bronners (sp?) shampoo, and the cheapest stockist is Lucy Rose. I have had a quick look at the Lucy Rose website.

Has anyone else heard of this product, or used it? The builder has also used lemon and bicarbonate of soda to wash his hair with. Believe me, he has got a lot to wash.

Ruth, how is your experiment progressing?
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Havent heard of that one Spreckly.

I spoke too soon re the greasy stage. That started soon after the last post and is just beginning to go now. If I hadnt read about it previously, I might have given up, but having been forewarned, I persevered. Hair is still soft and very clean after each wash and the 'lumpy' part of my scalp (where the psoriasis is) isnt as lumpy any more - just one or two small patches, rather than a quarter of the back of my head!

I like the new shampooless regime and dont think I will be changing back any time soon. That claggy feeling when your hair is weighed down by sticky stuff designed to flatten follicles, shine the hair and add volume is nothing compared with the feeling of simply clean hair and head )t'
Chris xx