Use of live animals in Olympic ceremony

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Use of live animals in Olympic ceremony

Post by Tink »

There is a petition on the website of Animal Aid to sign regarding the use of hundreds
of animals, chickens, ducks, cows, sheep etc in the opening ceremony. This is a regression after banning the use of live animals in circuses and a very poor example to the rest of the world.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Use of live animals in Olympic ceremony

Post by Willow »

I didnt know about this Tink, but what are the real concerns? If the animals are looked after by handlers / responsible keepers then I cant see them going through anymore stress than at any show ...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have mixed feelings on this one too.
It sounds an idylic picture of country life, but when you start to think of the details you wonder. The stress of transporting them, getting them in and out of the arena, the crowds. How will they keep them where they want them (remembering stories of new owners chasing hens across neighbous gardens).

Are all animals banned from circuses? What about horses and dogs - which have been domesticated for centuries and are used to being trained.
Last year at the Whitby Regatta they had Racing Pigs. They were let out of the trailer and someone rattled a bucket at the other end of the track. Seemed OK. But then they had to go back and do it again. And again, and again.
Then there were the Donkeys on the beach.
We are a nation of animal lovers, and seem to want contact with animals - but as Tink says, we don't always give much thought to the needs of the animal.

I was calling a ceilidh at a wedding reception yesterday and as we were waiting for the speeches to finish one of the fiddlers told us about the new habit of using owls to bring the wedding rings at weddings in mock castles. She didn't think much of it.
And then there is the release of doves at midnight on NYE, among all the fireworks. They must be terrified.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

True Mo... I was thinking more of county animal shows (best breed etc etc) which are held constantly..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

It might not be happening as i know someone who is involved in the ceremony and apparently they have 4 mins to get the 11 sheep in and in a practice it took 40!! school children were mentioned instead! >gl<
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Back to the drawing board.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Now Morris Men are well practised at getting themselves On and Off.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

That's interesting about the time to get the animals in and I hope they cancel the idea.
I can't think that putting farm animals in front of 62,000 people with all the noise and lights can be anything less than stressful.
On the other hand consenting children dressed as the above would have a fantastic time
methinks and what a privilage and memory for them.