Cloudbursting

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Stig
Lively Laner

Cloudbursting

Post by Stig »

Interesting article in the Times yesterday about cloud seeding, asking the question whether we should now consider using it to mitigate extreme rainfall events and flooding.

I'd heard about cloud seeding esperiments in the past but I thought that's as far as this science had gone. Not true it turns out - in other parts of the world it is routinely used to ease drought conditions & was even used at the Beijing olympics to ensure good weather for the opening ceremony.

What an interesting concept, being able to control the weather! I think it should be given some consideration. But who would make all the decisions, we'd probably need a Weather Ministry...
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Cloudbursting

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think that the problem with all of these things is that no-one has any idea of the knock-on effects of such actions. Chaos theory & all that.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: Cloudbursting

Post by redoak »

Yes, I agree with LBF - who can tell what side affects there may be. I'm sure it's adding pollution somewhere so I don't see how that could be good. Anyway I don't think they can make it NOT rain, just drop it in different places.
I understand that when they did it for the Beijing Olympics other areas of the country suffered badly from torrential downpours just so the Olympics didn't!!