Advice about cavity insulation

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Advice about cavity insulation

Post by Spreckly »

We have a 1930's semi, with the roof insulated, but not the walls. So far I have held out against having the cavity walls insulated, believing in my none DIY/builder ignorance that the foam and stuff will do the bricks no good.

Our upstairs is rather cold (understatement). I am sitting with very cold fingers and toes, and the heating has just come on. OH is feeling the cold more and more - he is 73 at the end of this month, and I want to preserve him for as long as possible.

Youngest son had his 1940's semi cavity walls "done" last year, and he is saying how much warmer the house is. So I am wondering - do we get ours done?

Have any Laners got experience of this - good or bad?
Maggie1

Re: Advice about cavity insulation

Post by Maggie1 »

When we moved into our 1936 semi in Kent in 1986, that was one of the first things we did. Yes it was expensive but the money we saved in heating bills made up for it. Ours was little polystyrene balls and no they don't fall out if a hole is made as they add adhesive. I'd certainly have it done Spreckly.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Ourhouse hasnt got cavity walls.. I only wish it did as I'd have them insulated in a flash!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

my 1930s house doesn't have wall cavities. I actually wanted it done as the house can get cold despite insulating the main roof and having the little roof over the bay window done as well.

So my "alternate" to cavity insulation was to have blown vinyl wallpaper - the previous owners had gone for the painting the plaster so the difference was immense )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When cavity insulation was a new thing (in the 60s?) I remember hearing that if there are any faults in the cavity (linking the 2 walls together) the insulation would make it worse and cause damp.
I expect that modern methods might not be the same.

Our extension is insulated, and a lot warmer.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Off all the insulation methods you can do on a house I would plump for cavity wall insulation before anything else. It is the cheapest, or it used to be, covers the largest area and therefore saves money on heating bills quicker.

We havent got cavity walls and like another poster said, sorry cant remember who, we have the roof filled with insulation, double glazing but the walls feel very, very cold. My advice would be to have it done Spreckly, but get at least 3 estimates first.

Just a thought, does your local authority give out grants for insulation, it is called warm home here in Lincolnshire? Maybe worth a try, eh?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your replies. Our LA did give grants for cativy wall insulation. Not sure if they are still doing so.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

We also have solid walls, but if my walls were cavity walls I would have it done in a heartbeat. Hope that there are still grants available if you choose to go down that route Spreckly, It may also prove to be prudent to ge in touch with Age Concern re grant advice.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a 1930/40 ex council semi, built to last in those days. I had cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, new boiler and hot water tank, all installed with a Home Front Grant, cost me nowt. I noticed the difference straight away, house isn't half as cold as it used to be.

They did stop the grant for a while, but I read somewhere they have started it up again. Googlie Warm Front to check. In fact check all avenues to get the job done free, before you go shelling out any money. If you don't ask you don't get. I still get phone calls from various companies offering a grant for insulation, even now four years after it was done. If you are on any kind of benefits you should be eligible for something, it's just a matter of finding it.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all again for your helpful advice and comments. On Monday, I shall start telephone enquiries re a grant. Number three son had his done, for around eighty pounds last year.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Good luck finding a grant for the work, Spreckly. I hate to think of anyone having to be cold this winter. Here in the states they offer those grants, too. I had mine done years ago. I bought my own double-panes widows a few years ago and they were expensive, but well-worth the cost. Please stay warm, everyone!!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It is absolutely bitterly cold here at present. We have just put the central heating on, and have a fire in the grate, but even so, far from warm.

Tomorrow I shall be enquiring about grants for the cavity wall insulation. We do have double glazing in all our windows. OH double glazed our living room, bathroom and landing windows just after we moved in. The rest had already been done.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Looks as if we have missed the boat for any grant for cavity insulation. There is a message on the Warm Front website to say that all applications ended on 19th January!!! Tried Age Concern, transferred to Energy Savings Trust, and their funding ended last year.

The price to have it done privately is six hundred pounds, though I have not obtained a builder's estimate yet.

Ah well.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

have you tried your energy supplier (eg British Gas I think is open to anyone not just customers) It might not be totally free but then again, you may be eligible ...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi, don't give up just yet. Have you googlied 'home insulation grants'? It's often the companies that carry out the work that advertise, because they want the work. They sort out the grant, do all the paperwork, because it's in their best interets to do so. Try these.

http://homeinsulationgrants.com/insulat ... t_form.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.government-grants.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://homeenergysaver.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.insulationgrants.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.heatsavers.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies if you have already tried these. Apologies if I have broken rules by posting links. Delete if not allowed
Ilona