Poly bags to be charged for

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Poly bags to be charged for

Post by Linda S »

Years ago when i was a kid(im 55 now)my Mam always took her shopping bags and trolley with her, and very rarely bought a carrier bag.

If im not mistaken at one time there were no free bags they all had to be paid for.
My Mam would only buy one to put her fresh meat in if she forgot to take the previously bought one with her or it had worn out )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Before plastic bags everybody had their own bags. If you bought anything it was wrapped in a paper bag or newspaper. Even vinegar you provided the container and it was drawn from a wooden barrel. Most women had the wicker basket for shopping. Most liquid came in glass bottles and as already mentioned beer and pop bottles were returned and money for the original taken off of the next purchase. Butter was put in a piece of greaseproof paper. Bread had a sheet of tissue wrapped around it.
God I'm old, but I know which I prefer.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

)ot: but, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper instead of put in the these takeaway boxes. I can remember paper carrier bags from s/buries and returnable pop bottles. We can still get bread wrapped in tissue paper up at daughters (scrummy real bread not cardboard sort).
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think it's a good idea but I think they should bring it in much sooner too.

I have quite a range of fabric bags, even got one of those Anya Hindmarch "I'm Not a Plastic Bag" canvas bags that were going for over £100 on eBay at one time >dowhat<

I've recently bought a couple of those bags they sell that hook into the supermarket trolley so that you can fit everything in as you go around the store, scanning it as you go along, then just go back to the car and lift the bags out and into the boot, so much easier than carrying flimsy plastic bags.

I wonder though what will happen to supermarket home delivery shopping. We have our shopping delivered once a fortnight and they just dump all the bags of shopping in our hall and it takes me ages to pick them all up and take them to the kitchen. I've had the odd occasion when they've forgotten to put them in plastic bags and it's a nightmare trying to empty half a dozen of those huge plastic trays the supermarkets use. I also reuse the bags for my kitchen waste bins so I am recycling them.
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Call me cynical
Bio, but some of the people who decided its now time to charge for carriers are the sort of people,who don't actually go,shopping themselves. They order on line and have it delivered by van.
Out of sight out of mind . If theyre living in a household where the storage and re-use of bags doesn't impact, then they don't think about it apart from a work exercise .

When I was a Saturday girl, as a teenager, it was unusual for people not to have their own shopping bags. The sort of people on this forum think about the world we live in and how they live. A vast majority of the populace couldn't give a stuff. Those that do care already use and re-use their bags.
Bio-degradable plastic is used quite a lot and is quite strong. Wouldn't mind those.
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

We've used our own bags for a while now, points at Tesc*'s and Sainsb*rys started it.

I did get the plastic bags from Morris*ns and Asd* though. What else was I to dump the ferret litter in (by crikey it hums!).

Luckily around here we get weekly deliveries of charity bags, a bit big, but do the job :)

Ikea sell ready made bags. Light, foldable and pretty durable too. We've been using ours for a couple of years now.
They have long handles so are great for going over the shoulder, not so great if your hubby drags them on the floor, because carrying on the shoulder is what women do!. :)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40210063/
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Call me cynical
Bio, but some of the people who decided its now time to charge for carriers are the sort of people,who don't actually go,shopping themselves. They order on line and have it delivered by van.
Out of sight out of mind . If theyre living in a household where the storage and re-use of bags doesn't impact, then they don't think about it apart from a work exercise .

When I was a Saturday girl, as a teenager, it was unusual for people not to have their own shopping bags. The sort of people on this forum think about the world we live in and how they live. A vast majority of the populace couldn't give a stuff. Those that do care already use and re-use their bags.
Bio-degradable plastic is used quite a lot and is quite strong. Wouldn't mind those.
Lorna
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Interesting you should mention Germany Redd Angel, I still have some canvas bags I bought in a German supermarket over 20 years ago. They are named the "Eine Mark
Bags" fully washable but with a slightly dated design.
5p a bag here in >dr< works well.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Mmmm. Plastic bags do come in handy as mini rubbish bags don't they.

Lidl sell their's for 5p each.

Personally I'd make them 10p each. We must start a discipline and routine I think. With a big shop people may start to change if they were paying 50, £1 or more simply to take them home.

Problem with me is I often forget to take a bag with me!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

My OH does most of the food shopping in our house . )t' )t' we are still using Nettos bags, which we've had for donkey's years.
Always take a cool box to put frozen and fridge stuff in and when the shopping is put way the bags are stored In the cool box ready for,next time.
Any other bags I collect on the way, I keep in a trolley bag and use, like Richard , as small,rubbish bags.
Sometimes I use them as poo bags when I'm out with the dog, but you have to be choosey about which ones to use as some have ventilation holes in the bottom, which are NOT suitable for picking up,poo!!!! yike* )grin2(
Lorna
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think all dog poop bags should be the compostable ones, I'm often seeing those
little green bags left hanging on bushes like Christmas decorations, gross!
I buy compostable bin liners sometimes, I'd like to think that most disposable bags
could end up being compostable but it depends what they're made from as to how
eco friendly they truly are. If they're made from recycled waste - ok, but if something
ends up having to be grown to make them (probably abroad) that may not be so good.
Supermarket online deliveries are hopeless, its either no bags - which can be awkward
if you have a large shop, or hundreds of bags - each with hardly anything in!
I once made a mistake with ordering & got 1 banana & 1 mushroom (thought 1 unit
meant a bunch!) each came in a carrier bag of its own!! >dowhat<
They should set a good example and use paper bags. I occasionally order from
Able&Cole - everything is in paper & cardboard and all the boxes are collected &
recycled next time. It can be done.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant