eco log maker

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

eco log maker

Post by thehenhouse »

hello, does anyone have feed back on how useful the eco log maker is. The one where you make logs from old newspaper.

Richard here has a link to buy one.

Would like to get one, but is it worth it??

We have a multi fuel stove and a solid fuel rayburn to burn them in.

And its turned a wee bit chilly now!

If you use them , where do you burn them and whats your expereince of this??

thanks Maggi
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I’ve never had one myself but a friend swears by his. They have got and old bath in their back garden into which the throw all their newspapers and magazines to soak. It takes quite a while if I remember correctly, to dry them out properly but ultimately it’s fuel for free if you’d have purchased the raw materials anyway.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good idea about the bath

See here for other forum thread and link to my page on it.

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4863

Thanks

Richard

PS - It's always a problem where to post something. Is it eco or is it frugal etc !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

thanks.. think shall order one up for husbands birthday... sh don't tell him.. i know we women can be so romantic too
:?
PS - It's always a problem where to post something. Is it eco or is it frugal etc !!

Richard wrote- I think it depends if you see the bottle as half full or half empty..??? whether you are eco or frugal.. ??..

Maggi :-D

Post by seahorse »

I had one of those log newspaper thingys , but you have to wait for them to dry out and have somewhere dry to store them and a good supply of papers. I gave up on it!! We dont get newspapers now and I havent a dry store (f+
Looove chucks!
ged
Lively Laner

Eco log maker!!!

Post by ged »

:-D
Hi Maggi,
I had a log maker,it was a useful way of getting some good out of newspapers etc!It was an interseting operation making said logs from the goo of papier mache,Us blokes like making 'mud pies',its a childhood memory revisited thing!
I found the paper had to be small to make good logs too many large pieces meant poor logs that took longer to dry out.I used to make 10 or so a day if I had the time,moreso in the summer(does that season still exist?)They burnt happily in my multiburner as a supplement to an already established fire.I reckon I got about an hours burn from an eco log!
Hope my rambling post helps!
atb
ged )t' 8)
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

ah- thnaks, thats all useful info. now to buy or not to buy- that is the question, maggi :-D
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

tis whizzing its way here as we speak, thanks everyone, Maggi :)
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have one that makes round logs from dry newspaper. It makes good kindling for lighting the fire but is quite labour intensive. I find it easier to roll firelighters from a single sheet of paper. I will try to explain -
start at the corner of the page, damp it a bit so you can roll it REALLY tight. Roll the whole sheet of paper up really tight and thin as you can. Fold your big long paper straw into 3 equal lengths, then wrap one end around the rest of it, and tuck it in when you get to the end. It's kinda hard to explain, but it makes excellent firelighters/kindling - I hardly ever need sticks or "proper" firelighters.
Maybe I'll take a pic so you see what I mean...
Oh, I was goinf to get the kind of log maker you use with wet paper but I have nowhere to dry them :(
Richard

Post by Richard »

http://www.downthelane.net/eco-log-maker.html

There's a photo at the bottom of some dried out in a Basket.

It really is best to start making logs in Spring. I know it sounds negative thinking about Winter so early, but mine dried out in the Greenhouse in a matter of days during July and August.

I made another 6 about 3 weeks ago and they're still quite damp, but I intend moving them into the Plate Warmer of the Rayburn - should do the trick.

You can try them in the Water Heater Cupboard.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

ohhhhhhhh what a good idea, just ordered one for my hubb's Christmas, will start to keep all the news papers from now on and also get him to start collecting them from his work mates after Christmas.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

are the logs easy to light
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard

Post by Richard »

You just put them on as per normal log, so you you don't need to light them as such.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I have brought this thread back to life as ghost has asked a question abaout it

Thanks

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

log makers?

Post by liskeardjane »

Why not fish the papers out of the recycling bin at the supermarket and take them home for log making. I've seen people do it and I assumed they wanted it for mulch or animal bedding, Who cares why if it's recycled
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/