Fluorescent chicks - The ultimate in sex-linked hatching

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Mo
Legendary Laner

Fluorescent chicks - The ultimate in sex-linked hatching

Post by Mo »

I've just read an interesting article.

A researcher has found a way to GM eggs so that s.ex of chicks can be told before they hatch.

So which is worse, killing loads of day-old cockerels, or destroying them before hatching. Or killing for the table a few weeks later? And is GM always the bogeyman.

An interesting question, I don't think there's an answer. He makes out it's ethically better, but I suspect it's economic that leads the way - as it does for all the back yard hatchers who dispatch their cockerels.

Another question arises. If the ideal ratio of M to F is 6? / 1, and the ratio that hatches is 1/1 what happens in the wild. Do they kill each other?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Fluorescent chicks - The ultimate in sex-linked hatching

Post by Chicken drumstick »

The bottom line IMHO ....it has nothing to do with saving the day old chicks from getting slaughtered rather than detecting male or female at the incubation period ....its all about PROFIT ....

quote...

" We live in an imperfect world, and the way we produce eggs needs to change to improve the economics of the process and improve the welfare of the chickens. "

Yes we do live in an imperfect world so lets not please make it any worse {mr.angry}