Zero Tax & MOT for old cars

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Zero Tax & MOT for old cars

Post by Richard »

I have to say I entirely disagree with this..

1. Those who have more Vintage type cars (pre 1973) would probably have enough money to buy it.

2. Fuel Emission - Is it fair when the Road Tax fee is based on the effects of your car's emissions going up into out atmosphere, so why should very old cars which do maybe 15 miles to the gallon and spurt out a few fumes or two not pay any?

3. Then there's the MOT. Why should cars older than 1960 be exempt? Surely that's an open ticket to drive round in a car less than suitable for the roads.

When I think of some of the tin cans I drove around in late 60's, the mind boggles!

Oh well.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Re: Zero Tax & MOT for old cars

Post by Mallard »

I think the reasoning behind this might be if you have what is called a "classic" car, you will lavish time and money keeping it in good order and not do a big mileage.
Some of the old bangers (cars) :oops: I had would be worth a small fortune now, not something you'd run into the ground like we did many moons ago!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Plus the fact that statistically they will be a miniscule percentage of the cars on the road so are not likely to cause much pollution or many accidents through being unroadworthy.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Richard wrote:I have to say I entirely disagree with this..

1. Those who have more Vintage type cars (pre 1973) would probably have enough money to buy it.

2. Fuel Emission - Is it fair when the Road Tax fee is based on the effects of your car's emissions going up into out atmosphere, so why should very old cars which do maybe 15 miles to the gallon and spurt out a few fumes or two not pay any?

3. Then there's the MOT. Why should cars older than 1960 be exempt? Surely that's an open ticket to drive round in a car less than suitable for the roads.

When I think of some of the tin cans I drove around in late 60's, the mind boggles!

Oh well.

Richard )t'

1) neither here or there, some people can't affordca new car and some choose to have a classic as a second or even third car.

2) I have had so many arguments over this one !
Let's just say you've owned a car from the 1960's as your main car and yes it does 15 miles per gallon. Now think of the carbon footprint that all the new cars that another chap has bought over the last 50 odd years. Even cars built in England would have had parts shipped in from all over the world. Who would have the bigger carbon foot print !
If I had a car that only done 15 to the gallon I would be more inclined to walk to the local shops instead of driving.
It's always going to be "greener" to keep an old car on the road.

3) any motor vehicle that's goes on a public road should in my eyes should have a yearly MOT or if you drive less than a curtain mileage then every other year.

Sorry to waffle on a bit, but I once had a real almost fisticuffs with some twat on a bike when I went for drive in London in my old 1970's landrover. I took offence when he started to F and Blind at me, especially when my two young kids were in the car with me.

Funny how my landrover is shorter than a mondeo --- he had to retract his remark "why do you have to drive something that big". It's tall, but it's foot print is quite small.

I gave him the carbon footprint argument after he said I should drive a new small car--- he ended up totaly agreeing with me.

Why did I need a 4x4 ----- he admitted that he didn't know that quite a few modern cars are in fact 4 wheel drive. So would he have a go at a fiat panda 4x4 owner, he admitted that he wouldn't have. In fact the "series 1,2 and 3 landrovers are not 4 wheel drive until you "engage it" the later "landrover 90 and all the rangerovers are perminant 4 wheel drive.

Some could argue that having a proper old wood burning range cooker is very "ungreen"
Think of all that fossil fuel your buring {rofwl}
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I'm with Dave. )t'

And we have a woodburner for winter, and cook on it. Most rural houses do. :-D
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/