Lively Laner

Intensive farming

Post by Thomassio »

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Intensive farming

Post by kitla »

That was really well done, I'd like to see that broadcast on the tv
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Interesting. I m currently reading a book called Farmagedon, which deals with the effects of intensive farming, fish farming, etc. It pretty alarming stuff. On the other hand feeding earth's 7 billion people, and rising, isn't easy either.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

But in this country I think its more about profit that producing enough food,
there is so much waste, so many supermarkets and fast food chains all competing
for our business - they sell meat so cheaply now that it's not valued, its a casual
snack.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

You're right about meat being cheaper in supermarkets, and it's because of farming like this. Not that I support it at all, just a simple case that I can't afford to eat the amount of meat that I like to if I only shopped from organic, proper 'free range' farms. I do occasionally get a decent rack of lamb, slab of pork belly or a piece of sirloin from a place like that an the quality is so so far superior to supermarket meat that it's untrue. I guess that's the 'wilful' part of the wilful ignorance.
Fois gras is another good example. It's this fancy luxury enjoyed by high society but the way it is farmed is just unacceptable yet not secret.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Thomassio wrote:just a simple case that I can't afford to eat the amount of meat that I like to if I only shopped from organic proper 'free range' farms.

That is sort of the point. People will have to learn to eat less but more sustainable meat. 7 billion people wanting to eat steak twice a week isn't feasible.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Can't add to the thread as much has been said.

Very valid points made.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Richard wrote:Can't add to the thread as much has been said.

Very valid points made.

Richard )t' )t'
hear hear. The good cuts of meat are a very small percentage of the animal. If everyone eats just the good cuts, a lot of the animal will be thrown away, or alternatively we all keep twenty cats and ten dogs. I wonder what they do with all the unwanted meat? People used to eat sweetbread and liver when I was young, and before that, lights as well. This is all good food? Or bring back the good old mixed, spiced, omelette!