Plastic carrier bags

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I too use plastic carrier bags to line my bin, so I'll have to stockpile if they get rid of them!! (f+

In the "olden days" my mum used re-usable shopping bags when they charged for carriers, BUT she had to buy pedal bin liners for the bin, or use a black bin bag, so kinda defeats the object.

At least carrier bags are re-used in the bin........
Small steps lead to big changes
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

http://www.avantiblue.co.uk/index.php?o ... p&Itemid=1
We've been testing these out. Ive filled it with waste and dumped it on our compost. I work for a large comapny so if they are successful I want to pass this onto our environmental bunch and facilities bunch.
Chucky Egg
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

In the old days, remember many houses had an open fire. Even if you didn't have a garden/compost bin, many vegetable peelings went on the fire, as did a lot of paper, old letters (now we have to be careful our details aren't stolen from the bins!), newspaper folded up to make "Chips" for starting the fire.

Those were the days, sigh. I've tried to live without plastic shopping bags for the past 10-12 months and use proper cloth ones I bought. Apart from having to remember to bring them with me (they are now next to the front door as a reminder!), I find it much better when packing and can actually keep up with the till girl when they go into "fast mode, I'm bored, let's watch the silly woman get upset and puts her tins on top of her bread". And they don't split at the handles because of a heavy load.

As for plastic bags for the bin - every other week I get charity bin liners shovelled through my letter box. I leave the bag outside because I have nothing but they are never ever collected to be re-used. I counted 35 bags, so I now use them for my dustbin )cof(
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I also use plastic carriers for bin liners, taking the horses' dinners to the field in individiual bags, bird scarers, wrapping up the few bare bones to put in the bin, wrapping the paint brush and roller so they don't dry out and can be used straight away the next day............but if it will help save the planet ofcourse they should be banned. I am just about to re-order some compost bin bags and I'm sure with a bit more work these could be used. Ooops just had a thought, people would fill them with rubbish, dump them, they would decompose, rubbish all over the place. Can't bl**dy win either way!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi, I have those 10p bags for life from de BIG supermarket and as soon as I have put de food away I put de bags straight back in de car. If you get one that is ripped they will change it for de new one.
For those who want to be organised you can use those collapsible plastic crates, that's if you have any, then the shopping doesn't roll about in the car.
I save all my bread bags, veg and fruit bags, inner bags from cereals, and bags that you get in newspapers with the glossy supplements in, and any magazine bags you get in the post. I cut the top off carefully, and hey presto, lots of dog poop bags.
I also put the flimsy shop bags in my kitchen waste bin, but it takes ages to fill it because we have collections for cardboard, plastic, tins, and glass. I sometimes have difficulty finding anything to put in my general waste bin, it's mostly pooey cat litter.
Ilona
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I am attempting to give up plastic bags for a month just to see if I can do it.

Cloth bags and a couple of freebie bags from magazines when I used to read wimmins' glossies do for shopping, along with my rucksack if I'm walking.

Bin bags are brown paper ones saved from the weekly fruit & veg box. OK as long as I remember not to put wet things in.

cat litter (yuk!) straight in the wheelie bin and hold yer nose...
There's no cure for stupidity.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

yes the bin liner is the biggest problem for me! and especially the kitty litter. most of the other stuff either goes in the compost or is recyclable so that goes into carboard boxes and then into the recycling crate.
i dont know how i would get kitty litter straight to the garbage bin heebiejeebie??? it sort of needs to be in something to get it there doesnt it? erk i dont know if i want to know! heheh - well even if i somehow got it to the bin in some way without using a bag i would hate to see (or more accurately smell) the garbage bin after a week of that :? hmmm it's a toughie i reckon.

ill be happy for them to ban plastic shopping bags here if they also ban all plastic bags from sale and all plastic packaging )de:

when i was a young kid i think supermarkets here used paper bags instead of plastic. i dont know what people used to line their bins then! i guess garbage just went in the garbage bin as is ...... maybe wrapped in paper....... i do seem to recall people would wash out their garbage bins a lot more often in those days. We have kind of a huge problem with lack of water here now though...

At the end of the day i do see it could be do-able to exist without plastic bin liner bags! Just think it's focusing attention in kind of the wrong spot to ban free plastic bags at the checkout ... blah blah i already ranted so you know :oops:
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I take the litter tray out to the bin and tip it up. Fell by the wayside today though after one of the cats... no, you don't need details. It had to be sealed up is all I'll say )hlp>

I remember "treesaver" brown paper bags at the supermarket - Wm Low which no longer exists.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

AH I see HBJ - well you are dedicated to do that I must say.
And it sounds like your cat might have done something like one of our cats did tonight in his litter tray - yes nuff said :?

A paper bag labelled as a treesaver sounds intriguing?? Was it made out of recycled paper I guess?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Why dont our supermarkets use the big brown paper bags the way they do in america - well according to films they do..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Plastic carrier bags

Post by AnnaB »

Tina
A lot of the supermarkets used to have the brown bags but for some reason (could it have been cost to them) stopped using them and went to plastic.
They are now trying to sell plastic bags supposedly long life ones to people.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I got 13 bags with my Sainsburys on line shop last week, that hit a raw nerve I can tell you, so another e-mail has gone off to them to complain, just 4 tomatos were in one bag. The whole lot is in a plastic tray to there isn't a need for any plastic bags. It was a small shop too, i probably could have got the lot in 4 reusable ones.
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Here in Aus I think they switched to plastic because the brown paper ones were notorious for having the bottom fall out of them.
Broken jars of pasta sauce anyone?

I'm sure several American movies feature the bottoms falling out of people's grocery bags - that's them! :?
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

So did I do it?

Post by heebiejeebie »

Give up placcy bags?...

For the whole month?...

Umm...

no. :oops:

But I have cut down my use by a fair bit - probably 50%. I have developed a habit of taking reusable bags with me when I shop and always have one on me in case I need it. I got a cotton one free from S******** for buying fairtrade (coffee and chocolate soon adds up to over a fiver for the "free" offer)!

Next step: always having enough non-plastic bags for the weekly shop, finding an alternative source of strong paper bags for the kitchen bin (need 7 a week but the veggybox usually only has 2 or 3).
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

My nearest shop is actually Lidl and they have all ways charged for bags. Consequently most people bring their own. I use a large bag I got for 50p form Ikea.