Plastic carrier bags

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Gardencottage
Learner Laner

To bag or not to bag

Post by Gardencottage »

Our council has just instroduced green wheelie-bins for food waste including meat products as well as for vegetable waste. Their suggestion for avoiding bins becoming smelly and horrible due to being full of old meat etc is to wrap waste in newspaper. We had a chicken this weekend and after making my stock I got oldnewspaper (which I resent using as I need it for lighting fires and shredding as animal bedding) and tired to wrap the chciken in it. Easier said than done - chicken carcasse are a surprisingly tricky shape and definitely broadsheet rather than tabloid. I put the result in my clean new wheelie-bin but I bet it didn't stay closed.

Plastic bags do have their uses - before my nice green bin I used them to line my vegetable waste caddy and carry veg to the compost heap. And I used them to shove chicken carcasses in before binning them....

Maybe the council will eventually supply biodgradable plastic-type bags for caddy-liners - has anyone come across this? they can be bought, but they're not cheap....
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I think the "biodegradeable" ones still take a very long time to break down - I might be wrong (heard this from someone and haven't checked it) but they can take 50 years to decompose. Better than "never" I suppose!
There's no cure for stupidity.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

heebiejeebie wrote:I think the "biodegradeable" ones still take a very long time to break down - I might be wrong (heard this from someone and haven't checked it) but they can take 50 years to decompose. Better than "never" I suppose!

My nephew is into prehistoric stuff and has recently acquired a fossilised dinosaur bone fragment from a shop Lyme Regis; this has never managed to decompose and it’s getting on a bit. Maybe some things are never meant to disappear. Several of our local supermarkets sell their own reusable bags, none of which are biodegradable but at least it’s not contributing to the landfill quite as much. They are also handy for taking bottles to the bottle bank.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Read in the national geographic that it is estimated that China gets through three billion disposable carrier bags a day...that is mind boggling..... confused>
Bah Humbug
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I'm not sure how you'd make one, but some chicken wire, and a wooden frame, and weave the plastic bags in and out of it, would make a great bird scarer?

Alternatives are make your own shopping bags out of extra material.
http://www.morsbags.com/
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think that finally i have a system that works for me. I take reusable bags shopping. I try to avoid buying products that use lots of packaging. Our council have recently supplied us with 2 wheelie bins which are emptied on alternate weeks. One week reycling - glass, paper, cans aerosols ,milk/shampoo type plastic -and the other week everything else (landfill).

I have a brilliant composter, which is called a green joanna. You can put ALL food in it, cooked and raw (even bones, fish, meat & dairy). You can also add up to 30% garden waste. I also have a normal composter too - both of these were heavily subsidised by the council.

I reuse where possible - freezer bags etc.

Putting all this together means that I have very little waste and nothing really gross or smelly. I put a black bin liner into my kitchen bin and that lasts at least a week usually. It then goes into the wheelie bin when full (after I take it out of the kitchen bin I go round the house to check if anything else to go in it). I am considering even doing without that - straight into bin but as its only collected every 2 weeks would rather have it bagged.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

The tree in this picture is now laden with Bramley apples and the branches reach the grass. I shall be collecting carrier bags everytime I go shopping. In the Autumn I will leave the bags by the gate with a notice staying 'Please take as many apples as you need'.
Then apart from the ones I use in the bin will take my own bags, mostly collected as part of company's promotion.
I do buy degradeable bags for the compost caddy but the Co-op do degradeable bags. (horse gives idea of size of tree)