wasted meat.

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
animartco
Lively Laner

wasted meat.

Post by animartco »

The British must be about the worst country in the world for wasting good meat. We won't eat anything except good cuts of beef lamb pork chicken and turkey. Is any other meat ever found in supermarkets? I remember years ago when one supermarket started selling wood pigeon. It coincided with the local disappearance of woodies. It only lasted for a couple of seasons, probably because they so soon ran out of woodies. I'm surprised that they don't do the same with rabbits. We could do with a few less of those, but I think the reason is because they might lose some customers, especially if recognizable little carcasses were on sale. Oven ready Woodpigeon carcasses only look like little chickens.
But it is the young animals that are the real crying waste. For a cow or goat to produce milk it has to have a calf or kid. At present veal is still considered a no no, and of course no Englishman would ever stoop to eating a goat. (Except Laners of course, and possibly River cottagers.) What is particularly sad is that the 'pragmatic' English do not even let the thought enter into their minds of all the little calves and kids that end up in rendering plants. I would love to get a campaign going for eating veal and kid. Veal was one of the first meats to grab the public attention because of the cruel way it was produced, but this was decades ago and is no longer the case. We have much stricter laws now. So, will everyone start badgering their supemarkets please? Oh dear, I'd better make a start with mine.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: wasted meat.

Post by Mo »

animartco wrote: So, will everyone start badgering their supemarkets please?

No you won't get me eating Brock. )j;

Meat is too cheap, it devalues life.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I listened to 'the Food programme' on radio 4 yesterday and they talked about tripe. Apparently the company who processes it in Yorkshire is booming, but the market is no longer British people, they export to Japan and China and have a market in London and the South East made up from migrants from places like Ethiopia.

The family from Ethiopia they interviewed told the programme they only ate meat on special occasions, Christmas and Easter (so I guess they are Christians) and that then they ate all of the carcass, including things like that which becomes tripe.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I reckon the cheap cuts of meat go into sausages, burgers, doners etc which we do
eat a lot of here. But you're right, we as a nation are extremely wasteful & fussy.
Every so often a different meat seems to get promoted, I remember supermarkets selling Ostrich in the 90's, then venison was pushed, but I spose it has to have
a large turnover for supermarkets to be interested. Perhaps if someone like
Jamie Oliver was to promote veal people more people would take notice.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't eat a great deal of meat. Mostly eat veggie. But you are right, if you are going to slaughter then all should be eaten.
I have gone onto cruelty free milk now.
The calves are not culled and the cows go into retirement.
I am fortunate to live near the Hari Krishna manor and they deliver.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

The opening thread was very well put, and i agree we waste so much of the animals we kill to eat or should i say chuck away,
ref gurgers / sauages these are the easiest way for manufacturer's to fill this section of food with anything you the customer cannot see,
how much bread is used in sauage making?
How much fat?
The lack of knowing cooking skills says a lot and the lack of interest and that feeling of just can't be bothered to cook (i'll open a box from the freezer with a nice picture on it) and this is we're one gets to not know whats a good tasting food full of vitimins etc and pure junk food,
I can honestly say that if you eat home made bread you'll feel full and that feeling last,
But use shop bought bread and not only is the taste nothing like bread should tase like but the feeling of have i eaten enough also is'nt there.

We just dont give ourselves a chance when it comes to using all the parts of the already slaughtered amimal, like the picture on the box, we're looking at only what the food industry wants us to see.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

barboo wrote: we're looking at only what the food industry wants us to see.

That's so true. The food industry shows us pictures of farm animals on cartons and packaging, when the reality that animal products come from 'factories' not farms.
Michael