Municipal Utilities

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
leguminous
Learner Laner

Municipal Utilities

Post by leguminous »

I'm curious about how much utilities cost where you folks live. We live in a small town in Virginia, USA, and they seem high. Water, especially! It costs us $70 (105 UK) a month for a family of four. We heat with wood, but gas for cooking and hot water runs $50 (75UK) and electric is $75 (113UK). This is each month!

~Joanne
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Municipal Utilities

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Firstly I think you have coverted the currency backwards :-D
$70 = £47
$50 = £33
$75 = £50
There are two rates for water here, metered and un-metered, which covers water in and sewerage out of the house. We are un-metered (I have no idea of metered costs) so pay a set amount per year which works out at about £41 per month.
Our heating and cooking are gas which costs £65 per month.
Electricity is £90 per month.
So water is about the same but you win on the gas and electric but I guess that is either down to the boom in fracking in your neck of the woods which has brought the costs down or that we use a lot more gas & electric than you. I'll try to find out the unit price for both which might make for a better comparison provided we use the same units.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

As best I can tell your gas and electric are supplied in KiloWatt Hours just as ours are.
Again there are different companies that provide gas and electricity who all charge slightly different rates.
Our gas is about 7 cents per KWh, add to this a standing charge of about $13 per month and Tax at 5%.
Electricity is about 8 cents per KWh with a standing charge of about $13 per month and Tax at 5%.
As we get both of the above from the same company we get a dual fuel discount of about $7.50 per month.
Hope that helps you work out a comparison )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
leguminous
Learner Laner

Post by leguminous »

Ha-ha, your right about the conversions, Scrambled! I think of the numbers that way to wrap my US head around them!

~Joanne
leguminous
Learner Laner

Post by leguminous »

Scrambled, checked my bill and our electric has an access charge of $10 & kWh of 10c, plus about a 3% tax. Our gas is calculated in "therms" (TH), so I'll have to do more homework to figure that one out.

Thanks!
Joanne
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

leguminous wrote:. Our gas is calculated in "therms" (TH), so I'll have to do more homework to figure that one out.

Thanks!
Joanne

29.3 KWh = 1 Therm )t'
So if my maths is correct that makes my gas come in at $2.051 per Therm.
Dom
Ali Woks My World