Yulin dog kill 2015, petitions need support

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kitla
Legendary Laner

Yulin dog kill 2015, petitions need support

Post by kitla »

http://www.ifaw.org/united-kingdom/get-involved/help-end-annual-mass-slaughter-and-consumption-dogs-yulin
To anyone who doesn't know about this horrendous annual event, I warn you be
careful about looking up about it elsewhere, its so extremely distressing that if you're
an animal lover what you see & read will never leave you.
The good news is that pressure from IFAW as well as other organisations around the
world, including from the younger generation of Chinese IS having an effect. The
festival is having to hide, some slaughter houses are getting shut down & a handful
of people have been imprisoned for various reasons. People go along to protest & I
expect the protest will be bigger each year. So I think the petition is very
worthwhile & needs as much support as poss. I think maybe China is starting to care
how the world sees them.
By the way it's dogs and cats, and a lot of them are stolen pets, some still have
collars on, and it's not an ancient traditional event but relatively recent & profit driven. Anyone who reads this petition & feels angry, upset & helpless like
I did, watch the video I posted last week to remind yourself there's plenty of good
out there to balance out the bad http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53617
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Yulin dog kill 2015, petitions need support

Post by kitla »

I read a news article. last week 2 men stole & killed two dogs from a village in China
(maybe to send to Yulin as they get a lot of money for them) but the villages caught
them, beat them & tied the dogs to them (This is heavily censored!) while awaiting the
police. While I am of course not condoning the violence I am so pleased to see proof that attitudes dogs in China are changing - even in rural areas. The biggest petition against Yulin is from a Chinese animal protection organisation.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Yulin dog kill 2015, petitions need support

Post by KarenE »

I think I signed this petition a while ago or at least another one about it. I find myself signing lots of petitions lately, mainly about politics, conservation and animal welfare

I read the incredibly depressing story this week about the dustman (can't remember which country) who killed a stray dog - the pictures were really distressing. I was so glad to watch the video you posted - it's a good reminder that most people will go out of their way to help another creature in trouble.

I understand that other cultures see animals very differently and may not consider pets the same way we do, and who are we to judge? But cruelty and abuse is the same wherever you are and it's always heartening to see people fighting against that, both for animals and people )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper