Wormery

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Wormery

Post by Trev62 »

I was not sure where to post this so Admin/Mod please move if required.

Anyway, my chicks just love eating worms, they take it as far as diving in around my spade when I am digging risking neck and wing to grab every worm they see! So I decided a wormery may be in order, so after some research I discovered one may be beneficial for several reasons:

1. To be able to grab a handful every so often to feed to the chickens.
2. Hopefully provide some good compost.
3. If it works on a small scale I could maybe build a raised bed wormery that could help break up the clay soil we are constantly battling with.

So here it is:

Two problems though:

1. I cannot source Canadian Red worms here so I have been buying whatever has been available in the Hunting/Fishing shops.
2. It is so hot here at present that I have placed the set up in the barn which seems the coolest place so I am not sure if it will all work.

Any advice or suggestions will be welcomed.

I will also apologize to any members of the "Worms have Rights" group but my chickens need their treats!! :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Wormery

Post by kitla »

An interesting idea, I think I remember someone from the forum making a wormery a couple of years ago. I find our compost heap; particularly the dalek one, is filled with thousands of the little red compost worms. I dont know how they get there as I dont find them when I'm digging the garden, but make a compost pile and they appear!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We tried a compost heap here but it is so hot this year that everything just dries and crumbles, we even tried watering it!!! We also put some plastic down after soaking the ground under it in the hope of enticing a few worms up but the ground is so cracked and dry the result was zero!!! Frustrating to say the least................. )gr:
"Not all those who wander are lost"
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I have a wormery of sorts. I bought 'tiger' worms from ebay and out them in conatiners similar to yours.

Mine seem to thrive and take no looking after really other than adding some waste vegetable matter from time to time.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Looks good to me.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome