stop recycling, we have got enough !

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

stop recycling, we have got enough !

Post by Meanqueen »

It seems that they are now stockpiling recyclable materials, because we have too much of it, and there is no market for it anymore. So what do we do with all the plastics, paper, glass, tins, etc? Anybody got any good ideas?

storing rubbish here

Ilona
jethro tull
Learner Laner

Post by jethro tull »

I have always wondered how beneficial re-cycling is, when you think about all the transportation involved plus the energy used to turn the stuff back into a usefull product.

That's why I think being frugal is the best way, if we don't buy the stuff in the first place then obviously there is no waste at all.

Unfortunately there are some things we can't do without and any imaginative reuse of these things is all the better.

Paul
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

If we all try to buy stuff with the least amount of packaging - why do apples need to be in a plastic tray and covered with more plastic?

I have receylced bottles and papers for more years than I care to think, and other than the odd piece of (expensive) glassware I have no idea what happens to it all :?
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

What has market value got to do with anything? It angers me that WHATEVER the problem is, "the market" is expected to spit out the right answer. (Daily Mail are particularly fond of this & first reader comment on what seems like every article starts with "what will this cost the taxpayer...." Gnash gnash!!) )gr:

Rubbish has to be dealt with, whether the market likes it or not. The only reason recycling is more expensive than plundering the earth for new materials is that industry is geared up to do the latter. Unfortunately it'll take some hefty investment to even up the balance. And since natural resources are not limitless, it'll have to happen one day. Taxpayer/government or private industry - one of 'em will have to pay.

Ahem.. sorry for the rant. :oops: It's a subject I feel strongly about. Of course, as other posters have mentioned, we should consume less in the first place. A guiding principle of frugality! But it always seems that the most wasteful are the ones who bemoan the cost of cleaning up the mess.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

We seem to be lucky in Doncaster, we are one of the few places where an entrepeneur(sp?)has taken on the recycling and is making it work.

Every week they sort the recycleables on the roadside as they collect and send (sell?) it on to the proper place.

I have heard that a lot of councils just chuck the whole lot in together and send it to Korea or other such unfortunate country as, so long as it doesn't end up in our landfill, they are meeting EU targets in cutting waste )de: )de:

Scandalous!
Jackie xx
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Ours gets collected on a Thursday, Jackie. We come under Doncaster, too.

Often collected before 8 a.m. so if you oversleep you get an early morning alarm as all the glass they are sorting is chucked in. Not saying they like a drink in our street, but you should see the spirit/wine bottles loaded.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

LOL Bluebell (f+

There is a posh street near me, all bungalows and "older" people.

You should see their boxes overflowing with empties. )j;
Jackie xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree entirely about packaging.

They push us to buy 'Green Shopping Bags' and 'T's' in Ashford don't put the plastic bags out for you, you have to ask, then they give you too few !
Then you fill up the Green Bags, because they're saving the environment, with pointless trays with which you can only use a certain amount as Seed Trays, Screw Boxes and what have you.

Worse than food, which some need to be wrapped, are the DY Stores - pointless heavy duty plastic moulded ttrays to the shape of the tool which you spend two hours getting your new screwdriver out of, cutting your fingers in the process, then can't do anything with them.

I have asked the question about this and the answer came back as they are easier to put the bar code on and customer friendly.

I can't say what I think because I have the words edited in my banned words coding !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

ans kids toys, christmas morning is a nightmare )de: it takes until boxing day to finnish breaking all the boxes bown to store until the recyclers come 2 weeks later.

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

jo68 wrote:hi (f+ (f+ (f+

ans kids toys, christmas morning is a nightmare )de: it takes until boxing day to finnish breaking all the boxes bown to store until the recyclers come 2 weeks later.

jo x

But the boxes can be more fun than the toy.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We use all sorts of boxes - cereal, soap powder, cake etc etc to send middle son's eBay sales out in with quilt off-cuts from work for padding so boxes never get thrown away.

Agree with Richard - those clear plastic moulded covers are a complete pain to get off and to get rid of.

And why do you get so many things in plastic boxes but not kids jigsaw puzzles?, the cardboard boxes soon fall apart. I used to cut the picture off the box and stick it on a big cleaned marg tub or similar and kkep the puzzle in that )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

The plastic trays can also be used for parcelling stuff - I got some garlic bulbs from a friend who has his own little business, and they were sent in 2 trays that were taped together like a box. I thought that was a very clever idea - lightweight and tough at the same time.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I was a bit concerned at work a couple of weeks ago when I gave out worksheets and accidentally gave one child two copies. He scrunched one up and put it in the recycling box. When I asked why he didn't just give it back, he said that he'd recycled it and that's better, innit?

AAAAARGH!

1) reduce
2) reuse
3) recycle - comes a poor third!
There's no cure for stupidity.
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

What can I use all the yoghurt pots, margerine and butter cartons for? I try and use them for various things, but we are a large family so if we all eat yoghurt everyday that alone makes a lot of pots... even if I buy big pots and use dishes. Living in Doncaster I do get the bottles collected weekly.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

You could use some as jelly moulds. Or to make fat ball things for the birds.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!