stop recycling, we have got enough !

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Yogurt pots could be used to plant seeds in. I use butter / marg tubs in place of tupperware tubs. Um um um thats all I can think of for now.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I just remembered, my grandad used to stick things like yoghurt pots upside down on top of the canes in his garden so he could see where they were and wouldnt poke himself in the eye when he was bending over.
Or you could get the kids to make bird scarers out of them in the summer for the garden. They could make a big wiggly caterpillar or snake or something out of them and stick foil and stuff that would scare the birds off when it blows in the wind......maybe??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

stop packaging stuff shops!

Post by liskeardjane »

IF......and God forbid shops whould ever listen to sense over profit! Fruitand veg was sold loose, if meat was just vacuum packed instead of a big plastic box, if bread was loose and if Joe public cooked their own food instead of getting it in packets then this would not be a problem. Instead of recycling we need to reuse, so reuse bottles - don't grind them down and make new ones, just fill them up again, most ready meals - well let's face it - it's slop any way - could come in a vacuum bag and get rid of some packaging!
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

They arent big on recycling over here. We can put anything we like in our bin and it gets emptied each week. There is a pilot scheme started now in Douglas and Onchan for boxes to separate glass and papers to recycle mmm I think we are alittle behind the times.
Luckily we dont get much rubbish, maybe one bag a week from the kitchen, but I take the bottles about once a month to the supermarket where there are recycle bins. I buy as much as I can loose and take a load of carrier bags with me, I also have one of those material bags that they sell, but find it better for putting my laundry in.
I think they ship our waste to Liverpool for recylcing...again another journey by sea..must cost a fortune!
Looove chucks!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

bookbinder wrote:What can I use all the yoghurt pots, margerine and butter cartons for? I try and use them for various things, but we are a large family so if we all eat yoghurt everyday that alone makes a lot of pots... even if I buy big pots and use dishes. Living in Doncaster I do get the bottles collected weekly.

Have you thought about making your own yougurt? It's really easy and not time consuming.
I have a yogurt maker that I bought from L*dl, it has 6 glass pots and I just wash and reuse them.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: stop packaging stuff shops!

Post by Lillia »

liskeardjane wrote:IF......and God forbid shops whould ever listen to sense over profit! Fruitand veg was sold loose, if meat was just vacuum packed instead of a big plastic box, if bread was loose and if Joe public cooked their own food instead of getting it in packets then this would not be a problem. Instead of recycling we need to reuse, so reuse bottles - don't grind them down and make new ones, just fill them up again, most ready meals - well let's face it - it's slop any way - could come in a vacuum bag and get rid of some packaging!

I so agree!

I used to shop at a place where you you scooped out your own flour, sugar, raisins, oats, chocolate, crackers, dog food, and so on...you could use your own container/bags...you simply marked it with the proper 4 numbers code so it could be weighed at checkout.

There needs to be more shops like this.

GREAT THREAD !
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: stop recycling, we have got enough !

Post by ChrisG »

Instead, those kind of shops seem to have disappeared - health and safety put paid to them I guess! In America they have 'bulk buy stores'. They too have H&S rules, but what they do is get the stuff in bulk and bag it up beforehand, or bag it up on request. Prevents 101 customers breathing, coughing etc over the food bins and contents, but still makes it cheaper and less packaging. Could do with starting something like that here. Our healthfood shop (healthfood warehouse, it's called) does this - buys in bulk then packages the food in smaller bags.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

RuthG wrote:Instead, those kind of shops seem to have disappeared - health and safety put paid to them I guess! In America they have 'bulk buy stores'. They too have H&S rules, but what they do is get the stuff in bulk and bag it up beforehand, or bag it up on request. Prevents 101 customers breathing, coughing etc over the food bins and contents, but still makes it cheaper and less packaging. Could do with starting something like that here. Our healthfood shop (healthfood warehouse, it's called) does this - buys in bulk then packages the food in smaller bags.

They're great, I think, RuthG. Where I shopped, I can honestly say that people were very respectful of handling the scoops and being careful, etc. I think where people are like-minded and doing something for a good cause, in general, you find a shared respect.

I remember once needing this special tea (health reasons), from Africa, that was expensive...I scooped out enough for about 3 cups of tea...I couldn't have afforded it, otherwise.
I loved having the option of buying the amounts that I chose AND knowing there was no unnecessary packaging, in the process.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re:

Post by rhubarb93 »

kate egg wrote: I use butter / marg tubs in place of tupperware tubs. Um um um thats all I can think of for now.

Yes, I've always used these to store food leftovers, too. Never saw the point of spending good money on stuff to just store things in temporarily. And we (usually !) remember to use up the contents. Also honey jars get kept to refill with home-made jam.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Takeaways (especially chinese takeaways) now come in those plastic boixes with lids. These are the same as you can buy in some pound stores for freezer storage, so we just keep those and reuse them. Not that we buy many takeaways these days :?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
bosephus
Lively Laner

Post by bosephus »

Where I live, in a block of 6 flats, we are the only flat that even owns recycling boxes. When we moved in we asked the landlord about the boxes and got the response "oh, nobody really recycles round here" even though the bins only get collected once a fortnight and end up overflowing after about a week }hairout{
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

My son used to take the balls out of roll on deodorant and paint funny faces on them and use them for canes to stop you poking your eye out. I've also used denture tablet containers and the yogplat drinking containers.
Pyrotech
Learner Laner

Post by Pyrotech »

Its a really funny world, in some respects our recycling efforts lead to increased poverty on the Asian sub continent, where many rely on scavenging for recyclables on rubbish tips. The USA sends large amounts of its recyclable products from the western seaboard straight to China in vast amounts. This depresses the market and lowers the pittance paid to those living on or off the dumps..... We just cannot send ours to the far east at an economic rate...and if we could we would be adding to the competition with the worlds poor.

We really need to develop "Cradle to cradle" life styles here, and reuse our own waste far more efficiently.

In the US they have in some part returned to the deposit system on bottles and cans, In California between 5-10 cents each which has created a whole subculture of recyclers, ahhh memories of my youth and pop bottles... Image A US recycling centre,notice the different plastics all have a value per pound. ( The missing top left sign says containers per pound. )

I think we also need to add value to our waste, maybe Tesco could start adding points for bottles as well as cans to it's recycling centres.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Pyrotech wrote:We really need to develop "Cradle to cradle" life styles here, and reuse our own waste far more efficiently.

Not too sure about recyling my own waste yike* I'm more than happy to wave goodbye to it when I pull the chain )loo(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We have a septic tank for that