Great idea for Footpaths across farm fields

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Great idea for Footpaths across farm fields

Post by Richard »

I only noticed this today when I went for a walk around 'my patch'.

In a few places around here, especially after seeds have been sown or fields ploughed it's hard to determine exactly where a footpath goes, often leading to various track marks and upsetting the crops etc.

It would seem it's some sort of dye. He (my Landlord) hasn't used it on livestock pasture.

He's in the EU Countryside Stewardship which stipulates only wildlife and bird safe products are used.

[center]Image[/center]

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Great idea for Footpaths across farm fields

Post by Mo »

So how long will that last after March '18?
There was a scheme for new permissive footpaths to get some EU payment. Scheme ended, and the 2 paths I've tried to walk have been close or not maintained - one was signposted at one end but the other end had a 'closed' notice on; the other lost it's waymarks half way round!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good idea.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I hardly think a short footpath like that would need some kind of mark on it. You can see the gate leading to the exit on the other side, as you enter it.

Farmers do have an obligation to reinstate the footpath within a certain time of ploughing it up. Most do, but some don't. Some put sticks along the length of it, and some run over the path with a tractor to flatten it.

There's been times when I have cursed having to stumble over deep ruts, or to wade through chest high oil seed rape. The dye would help with a very large field.

Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think so Ilona.
The field is actually about 250 meters, I took photo from a distance on zoom.
There are quite a few footpath junctions over the fields, I would estimate the Farmer has dyed around the 10 mile mark.

I had an instance on another path near to me, not my Landlord.
They had just plughed the field and it was my first time there.
Upon climbing the style at one end I couldn't see the gate / style on the other side so had to take a guess. I was wrong and ended up about 50 meters off course thus walking over the field where they'd sown the seeds.
If a few more did that, there'd be more seeds destroyed.

Apparently the dye wears off after a few weeks, so the supposition is that by that time, the path will have been worn down and become more visible and obvious.

There are mainly good Farmers who do take notice of rights of way and a few which don't.
I think we have to respect that the Country has to wat and the Farmer has to respect that people should have fair and enough access to our countryside.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I was just thinking, if all footpaths were marked like that, it would kind of take the fun out of map reading. Part of the enjoyment for me is to read the map, take note of landmarks, and look for signs on the land that I am on the right path. If I see a church spire in the distance I can work out if I need to be to the right of it or to the left. I wouldn't want a well marked path with a little sign saying 'This way', although it is comforting to find a normal marker post confirming I am where I thought I was.

I'm avoiding fields at the moment. It is tough going with six inches of mud stuck to the bottom of my boots. Mind you, weather permitting, two friends have a walk organized for the 2nd, they have planned the route so I won't have any choice with that one.

Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

I agree, I'm a great Ordnance Survey map reader, a come back from years of scouting.

It's just certain times of the year when paths are very difficult to see, map or not - unless you take you take your compass as well of course.

Richard )t' )t'