Natural remedies for blocked sinuses

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Natural remedies for blocked sinuses

Post by Spreckly »

Unsure where to put this, Mods.

Ten weeks ago today, I started with a chest infection/flu, and UTI. I am still coughing, though am unsure if the chest is totally clear. After two lots of anti-biotics, I do not wish for any more. The last lot gave bad side affects.

Last week I started with sinus trouble. I'm using Olbas oil on my hankie to attempt to clear the blockage, but has anyone any natural remedies, please.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Natural remedies for blocked sinuses

Post by kitla »

I had a long lasting sinus & ear problem last year & tried a variety of things. I didnt find any magic cures, but what I found helpful were - good old honey & lemon Lockets, and a spray from the chemist which I've forgotten the name of, it's basically a purified salt water solution (no chemicals) that you spray up your nose, it cleanses & calms the "environment" in there.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks kitla. When I was ill with a chest infection years ago, I used Lockets, and I can't even think about them, without feeling sick, so they are definitely out. I've read various natural remedies on the internet, and one of them was using salt and boiling water as an inhalant.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Steam inhalation is highly recommended for blocked sinus - use of the salt in this case probably not much use as it will stay in solution. Many years ago I suffered from a bunged up nose - I'd had it for so long that I just didn't notice it anymore. I happened to be at the doctor's for something else and he recommended using Karvol (just snip one end of the capsule and squirt the contents into the bowl of hot water and breathe in. The ingredients are natural oils like peppermint and so on) I had to do the steam inhalation stint every night, and by the 3rd night, my nose was clear - it was like magic. I've used it since but I think some of the ingredients are not the same or I need stronger stuff, but still worth trying.

Menthol crystals are the ultimate - you can buy them from the chemist (a little pot for about £3) and all you need are just a couple of grains in hot water. They'll certainly bring tears to your eyes in the first breaths LOL

The not so natural is phenylephrine hydrochloride (Sudafed) but you've obviously decided not to use this. About 20 years ago I had flu and my asthma was really bad - the doctor prescribed a few things to help my lungs and the "side effect" was my clear nose! It is one of my standbys just in case.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for all the information, Lancashire Lass.
manda

Post by manda »

You can do self massage for sinus drainage (this is a really good video to show you how to do it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-wi0d7-Ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also have you tried a Neti pot? They can be really helpful if you have an infection to help drain the gubbins out of your sinuses. Hubby gets really bad sinusitis and it really helps.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the info, Manda. I have had a go at the youtube video, and will repeat it tomorrow. Not heard of Neti pots.

When I was pregnant with my third child my nose was permanently stuffed up, more so at night. I was put on Otrivine sprays, which managed to drain down the back of my throat, and tasted vile. That was in 1970. Once I gave birth, away went the congestion!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Honey and lemon with a good drop of rum.
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Been to the chemist this morning. First thing I was asked was "what meds are you taking?" I take Metformin, Candesartin, and Atorvastatin. Because I have raised BP, I was told that a lot of sprays, etc are out. However, the very helpful chemist fished a bottle of Friar's Balsam off the shelf. So I shall be over a bowl of hot water later on.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thankfully the catarrh is gradually going, I've tried the massage, Manda, and looked the netipots up on the net. They look like a version of the old antral lavage, dreaded at the ENT clinics in the 1960's!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear your feeling a little better, Spreckly. Sinus problems can be very nasty and very painful too.
I second SS's recommendation, honey and lemon for the cough and I always put my head over a bowl of boiling water with a towel over and that always helps me. I cannot take a lot of medication bought over the counter as I am allergic to penicillin and asprin which a lot of remedies have in their make up unfortunately.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I gave up yesterday, after being unable to smell two of my expensive (for me), perfumes. Spent almost an hour waiting to see a locum doctor, but when I was eventually called in, she was most thorough. Apparently I had a slight temperature, which I had suspected but my chest was clear. She prescribed a dose of anti-biotics for the sinuses and also a nasal spray, which has worked better than all the stuff I have been inhaling, and massaging. This is the twelfth cough week, but only about the third with the sinus problem, which she said is a secondary infection. I have to keep out of the sun, what sun?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I hope you are feeling better soon, Spreckly when the AB's kick in.

LOL to the sun, it has been gorgeous here in good old Lincolnshire, up to about 3p.m. and now it is raining. I am rather pleased as it will fill my water buts up.