London air polluted by Wood Burners

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

London air polluted by Wood Burners

Post by Richard »

I'm sure some of us either experienced or read about smog in London and other cities during the 1950's and 1960's, it now appears that half the polluted air in London is caused by Wood Burners.

Wood Burners are great for keeping us warm, but in some cases (maybe), they have become 'the thing to have' in the modern home.

This BBC Article

I have an old Rayburn in which I burn smokeless fuel and some wood, so I'm no angel I guess. There again I'm pretty rural.

I'm sure levels won't be as bad as the 50's and 60's, but Burners have become a bit of a fashion.

The combination of the now known to be bad Diesel vehicles and this !!

Any thoughts ?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: London air polluted by Wood Burners

Post by saint-spoon »

Interesting article Dickie. There was a similar article about wood chip power stations not being a green alternative for supplying energy a few weeks back; it takes decades to lock the carbon into a tree but seconds to release it by burning and so on.
As for the wood burning stoves, I think that you are right they are a fashion item rather than a necessity and the same must be true about their green credentials as for the wood chip power station, you can burn a whole tree in a matter of weeks but it will take several decades for the released carbon to be recaptured and fixed by another tree.
The issue with particulates is another thing, we live by the sea so we always have a clean breeze blowing in but there is a chap over the back of our house who has a bonfire pretty much every night over the summer, because of the prevailing winds coming off the sea it almost always blows over our house and garden and it is not pleasant, thick acrid smoke full of choking particulates.
I feel that a total ban on burning of garden waste would improve our air quality so it makes sense that the same would clean up the air in London somewhat.
It seems to be fashionable to have a scapegoat for things these days, diesel cars are being blamed for air pollution but as the article says modern trucks kick out less than a log burner.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting and very informative reply spoony, thanks.

I think that some younger professional couples going down what could be deemed as a fashionable route will soon get fed up with clearing the grate etc. every morning.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

The article does not surprise me and wood smoke in urban areas is very noticeable. I find it a joke that I have to attend annual health surveillance (lung function) for work when exposure to harmful air pollution on a regular basis is supposed from "fresh air"!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have had a multi fuel stove for 17 yrs and really love the cosiness of it. Like you Richard I burn mainly smokeless fuel but do add a few logs in the evening. I am one of those people who cannot live with central heating.. I feel so uncomfortable and end up like a stuffy lobster.

I do remember the awful dense smogs in London, as far back as the 1940s. Visibility was at times so bad that you couldn't see the kirb, let slone traffic. I can remember having to find my way by feeling along the wall. This pollution was caused by coal fires, which everyone burned then along with coke.

I also live in a rural area now and am never really aware of smokey air.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have sometimes do work for The Crown in and around London. Some years ago we got a letter at our home address after working down south.
Cannot remember all the details, but the gist of it was that we had to have something fitted to our older van to stop potentially harmful emissions or we would be charged £100 each and every day that we went there.
We took the van to the garage along with the letter and they had never seen/heard of this before, but duly worked out a price and to say it would not be cost effective to have work done was an understatement.
We finally got a new van anyway, so the problem went away and we have had no more letters when working down South since.
I really believe we were far more eco friendly years ago with brown paper bags, glass bottles etc than we ever are today.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote:I really believe we were far more eco friendly years ago with brown paper bags, glass bottles etc than we ever are today.

I remember when you used to get money back when you returned your pop bottles to the shop LOL
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I remember when the bottom used to fall out of the brown carrier bag when it got soaked in the rain and it usually happened when you were just getting either on or off the bus!