Low energy bulbs and chandeliers

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
p.penn

Low energy bulbs and chandeliers

Post by p.penn »

I am really trying to be energy saving but I have several chandeliers in my home (bit of an obsession!! :oops: ) and the energy saving bulbs just do not give the right light to make them sparkle like normal, clear light bulbs do. They just look drab.

I wonder if they will be able to do anything about it in the future?

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Chandeliers? You posh devil, you! :-D

I have to say we have a modern one bought from the Swedish company. I know what you mean about the bulbs.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I also have two, and have stocked up on the normal clear lightbulbs - I make enough economies elsewhere to more than cover the cost of the electricity to run them.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have a low energy bulb that looks more like a traditional light bulb but its much bigger (basically it is a bulb shape that has been made to fit over the normal low energy if you see what I mean.) And I think it would look wrong - too big in a chanderlier.

We have those new style hanging lights with tiny halogen bulbs like those you can get from bandq and ikeeeea.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi Helen, you could try Googling low energy bulbs without checking the uk only box. There are lots of suppliers on the continent who will supply to the UK with low carraige charges. They also have a far greater range of styles and outputs.
You just need to make sure you buy the correct fitting for your particular application.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Maybe try an LED bulb. They give out a different light to the fluorecent bulbs & last forever. Expensive though. The light is cool in colour, unlike a tungsten filament, & not nice & sparkly like a halogen! Your best bet might be a combination of types.

I always have a moral dilemma when it comes to replacing perfect working filament bulbs with energy savers. Does the energy saved outweigh the energy consumed in manufacturing of the old bulb? And I hate throwing away something that works fine!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of halogen - aren't they wildly expensive? And do they have to be low voltage? Not sure what led are - it's very confusing now, isn't it?! :shock:

In my day a light bulb was a light bulb! :oops:

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

In reply to Stig i to think its wasteful to bin working bulbs so when i have been given a energy saving bulb i put it in if i need a new 1 i will buy ES 1.

But because i'm tight i put the working bulb away ( to put in if we move!!)( )c+ daughter wanted this in)

Not sure what the correct thing to do is but this is the compromise i came to!
(f+
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Stig wrote:Maybe try an LED bulb. They give out a different light to the fluorecent bulbs & last forever. Expensive though. The light is cool in colour, unlike a tungsten filament, & not nice & sparkly like a halogen! Your best bet might be a combination of types.

I always have a moral dilemma when it comes to replacing perfect working filament bulbs with energy savers. Does the energy saved outweigh the energy consumed in manufacturing of the old bulb? And I hate throwing away something that works fine!

LED bulbs are indeed expensive (although one would hope that the price will fall soon) but alas they do not last for ever. They do however use a fraction of the energy of conventional and energy saving bulbs and last for a long time. Hopefully we’ll see these more readily available at a reasonable price soon. As for changing bulbs for the sake of it, I totally agree that replacing a new bulb for another one on the basis of energy efficiency does raise moral issues. Whether you change them all at the same time or as they go installing energy saving bulbs seem to be the way ahead especially with the price of energy as it is. Then there’s the issue of disposal of energy saving bulbs (which contain minute amounts of mercury vapour (as I found out on another thread))…… it’s a mine field and in some places they just don’t look right or don’t work (if supplied by dimmer switches).
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

bluebell wrote:Chandeliers? You posh devil, you! :-D

Thought these pics would amuse you - these are another 9 that are hung in my kitchen waiting for an electrician! :shock:

chandleier part1

chandelier part 2

Perhaps, when my grandson is old enough he will be able to put them up for me. He's 3 at the mo!

Helen
Helen xx

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

OMG all that dusting :shock:

Think you have a bit of an obsession going on there p.penn - and think of your leccy bill if they were all wired up and working, you would also need dark glasses to go into the kitchen :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

Whats all that about LOL.
Are they for the house eventually or just the kitchen ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

And why have you got a cow leaping off the beam in the ceiling :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha Ha Ha!!! Well, in a vague attempt to exonerate myself, they did sort of creep up on me over about 7 years!

I have another 3 (as wall lights) in the lounge, 2 on the landing, 2 as wall lights in our bedroom, 2 in the spare bedroom and 2 chandelier table lamps!!!! :oops:

And yes, they are for other places except for one. Did think I would have another 2 in the kitchen too but it would be too dark.

Therapy? Moi? )th(

Helen
Helen xx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

For once, I'm quite speechless.

:shock:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome