Eco - but possible not frugal

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ours is Dairy Crest, they have a website where you can put in your postcode to see if there is a local milkman for your area. Not suer if its just a midlands company though?
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

A Friend of ours in wales is a milkman he has his own Franchise!

He leaves for work at 12.30am 6 days a week and gets home about 2pm he has no life other than work!

He says the round has got so big, because they laid some men off and pulled the other rounds together!

Rather him than me! HE WORKS FOR DAIRYCREST!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I know I couldn't do it, its like my brother-in-law's dad - he works at the fish market and is up at 2.30am every day. At the weekends he has a lay-in till 6am :shock:

But its what he's always done and he seems happy with it. He also goes on a cruise at least once a year too........... and that's what keeps him smiling :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

30 years ago we had a fab mlkman here - in the snow he would deliver it by tractor! Sadly, he died very suddenly (acutally hours after leaving me a note commenting on mine saying 'you do demand a lot from your men don't you'!)

The round was taken over by a dairy and the first week they had loads of complaints - one from an old lady asking why the milkman hadn't brought her washing in! Bygone times eh?

We can still get a delivery but only every other day. Also stupid o'clock in the morning. Kept forgetting to pay and one time I owed £30 before he mentioned it- so I stopped! It would be nice though....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'd love to get the milkman to deliver, but I'm hopeless at remembering to have money in the house to pay things like that (I have cut the window cleaner to just doing the front of the house because it only costs £2.50 and I usually have that in my pocket!!)
I have been thinking about it though and might give it a go for a month and see how it works out for us.
It may not be the most frugal thing in the world to have a milkman, and I could go out and wash my own windows.
BUT
It saves me an hour or so that I can spend with Grace
I dont' have to go up scary ladders to do upstairs
I don't have to contend with spiders (ewwwww!)
It keeps 3 or 4 teenage boys in gainful employment
I think that's more than worth £1.25 a week.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Crumbs Babycakes - that is REALLY cheap for windows. I was quoted around £10 just for the front of the house (2 up, 1 and a tiny one down). I was still tempted though as sometimes they are so grotty I forget what daylight looks like!

But, I resisted! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

When they were doing the back of the house too it was £4.50, but it meant un-padlocking the gate, making sure the dog was in, remembering to re-padlock the gate... it just didint work LoL so now they just do the front and ask for £2.50. I live in a 3-bed semi too, and they do the front door glass and everything - even got some varnish off the glass for me :-D
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I love having a milkman - where I grew up ws so remote we couldn't have one - I go off frugal track and have

a paper boy
Milkman
and window cleaner

Just because I can!

It is all ridiculously expensive, but I know I'm supporting small, local businesses so I don't mind.
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kate egg wrote:I think its about 55p a pint, I cannot remember as I get a bill every 4 or 5 weeks. This works out at £1.10 for 2 pints and I think its about 90p a litre in the shops, not a lot to pay for the convenience and not having all that plastic to get rid of.

Don't forget if the supermarket is not close by, then you have to add travelling costs on top of that ... probably works out cheaper to have it delivered than to go & get it yourself. Even if you bulked up to last several days, it would also mean using up more fridge space, electricity etc )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Its no problem paying him either - he leaves a bill every 4 weeks and I leave a cheque out for the next time he comes - easy peasy. I also try to buy other stuff from him when I can, as I don't want to lose the service. Its very nice to know when you've used the last of the milk late at night that there will be some on the doorstep for a cuppa in the morning!
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

we used to all fight over who would get the cream off the top of the milk on our cornflakes..
there's still a milkman in wootton bassett, I think he's dairy crest too, but not sure.
I did approaich the MIL about having ti delivered, but she said no..shame...
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

We have our milk delivered down here in the "burbs". He's dairy crest as well. we used to be a "unigate" customer, but Diary crest bought the company about 5 years ago...
Graham.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Just remembered, when I was a kid my mum used to get a really lovely diary (for about £1 or so I would imagine) from the dairy. Was this a Dairy Crest thing?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Yes our milkman still sells a dairy diary they're about £4 now but good value.
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

My mum swears by her Dairy Diary...with all its hints and tips. She has the milk delivered every other day as well, so that seems to be the norm for Dairy Crest people.
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!