Dreadful waste from shops...

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Needless to say Maltesers all gone, and over 2 weeks before they self-destructed )t'

In the 'old days' nothing would be wasted, there were no sell by dates - you just looked and sniffed. We really are being molly-coddled and nannied into not thinking for ourselves.
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

Now I know why L...l dont have reduced goods on the shelves. I loath the waste that goes on. I saw an advertisment that said that a third of the food bought was thrown away!!! A teenage boy, 2 dogs, a field full of hens and a goat = no wasted food here.

And as for Maltesers - dont get me started, I love em. I suck them till they dissolve.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Tonight's leftover chicken pie fed the dog, and cooked potato peelings and leftover peas for the chooks tomorrow, plus stale crusts off the bread )t'
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

we play games with maltesers on the dinner table we blow them acoross the table to see if we can get them into anothers mouth, great fun specially with , unbelievable maltesers( give it a try, you will fall about laughing)
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

forgot to mention the straws though
Lizzi
Learner Laner

Post by Lizzi »

On the market they have food that is nearly out of date, but is still fine. Last week they had tomato puree from Tesco, in date till october 2010 - the boxes were a bit squashed, but the tubes were fine. 3 for £1
Lizzi
delshar
Learner Laner

Re: Dreadful waste from shops...

Post by delshar »

years ago when i worked in a council run residential /nursing home, every friday night M&S would drop off boxes of various food items that were either coming up to or just out of their sell by date. the residents used to love friday nights because of the surprise of what would arrive...

....then it got stopped due to 'health and safety' and fears of litigation if someone got ill....ffs.....the worlds gone mad....

...now i work with people who are literally scraping by in appalling circumstances...some homeless, some with families...and they cant afford to eat at the best of times....they wouldnt care about sell by dates etc....theyre more concerned with survival in a world that doesnt seem to want to know about them...

it does make me mad, even though i do get twitchy at sell by dates and it drives sharon bonkers, lol...but i am getting better and am not so precious now....heck...yesterday i ate a yoghurt one week out of date HURRAH FOR ME!!!...
delshar
Learner Laner

Post by delshar »

...and another thing, sharons just reminded me, we have friends whose daughter has gone off to uni....and of course monies tight, but shes been brought up to not waste and to be very ethical...so how does she get by? she and her housemates go 'skipping' after the stores close...and that how they eat...she delights in telling us how theyve had everything from lobster to luxury cakes etc etc...along with all the basics....sometimes just because the packaging is damaged and not because its out of date....hmmm me thinks an idea is spawning..."love....were not going shopping this week...get yer balaclava...were off to the back of sainsbuggers"...
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

LOL delsar )j; )j; )j;

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A lot of what I eat is out of date, though I don't do skips.....yet, ha ha. I am eating Whitworths snacking apricots in a bag, they were out of date in January, :shock: nowt wrong with them.

Ilona
)t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sell by dates are a guideline I always think, even my once very fussy hubs is OK now with stuff if it tastes and smells OK )t' Not sure I could resort to bin-fishing though' my family already think I'm potty )th(
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

A cheese can be made and at 3 months old divided into two.
Half can be left to mature for another 3 months (or longer) and half go to the supermarket and they make the supplier put a 4 week use by date on it!
That doesn't make sense.

It's the same with lots of things
A good beer matures with age but they still put silly dates on it. Same with A good piece of meat improves with age up to a few weeks but they still make the producers put just a few days on the date.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

My beloved used to hide cuts of meat for us and my dad at the back of the fridge when he was butchering untilt hey were black on the outside. The shop girl wanted to throw them out but we knew they'd be the best bit - and once he trimmed the black off they were the most tender, falvoursome cuts of meat we ever had
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!