salt on roads

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
SHARKY
Learner Laner

salt on roads

Post by SHARKY »

I wonder what the impact of all the salting of roads at present will have on wild life ,all the salt water draining into rivers must have an effect,!.
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

UUmmm our roads havent been gritted as our council is running out/ran out of grit and salt )de:
good point though...havent really thought about the impact on the environment..would it just wash away and if it rained be watered down?
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
SHARKY
Learner Laner

Post by SHARKY »

I think it must impact streams and ditches, and eventually rivers,i know that years ago i had a stubborn Pampas grass in my garden ,planted by a previous occupier, it was against the house ,i couldnt burn it i put a shovel full of rock salt in the middle of it, [just happened to have a sack in garage ]....that killed it .
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Thanks sharky ive been trying to get rid of my mutant pampas for years..ive burnt it...stamped on it and tried just about everything except rocksalt )t'
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

It said in the paper today that the salt clears to roads better as it dissolves the snow whereas the grit just lays on top and makes a reasonable driving surface. Then it went on to say that the impact of the salt on wildlife etc was not good, it gets into rivers and streams and underground water-courses - another example of man mucking up nature?
SHARKY
Learner Laner

Post by SHARKY »

I dont think grit is used much, i think when they say ''gritters are out'' i think they are using rock salt, now they are also using low grade table salt too[added to rock salt so it spreads ].it cant be good for plants or animals,.................OR classic cars,![they are probably all tucked up safely in garages ].
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hubs had our 1963 Cortina out to go to Quorn in Leicestershire today, but only because the roads were dry. Certainly not to be used normally in this weather - in fact he has just taken son's g/f home, about 30 mile round trip, and has gone in our 4WD pick-up, that copes with just about anything.

Our local paper said that they do use grit a lot more than salt. Apparantly salt deteriorates in storage, they lose about 10% a year so cannot afford to keep replacing it, and so grit is a cheaper option.
SHARKY
Learner Laner

Post by SHARKY »

oh, i know salt would be lost in storeage, but thought that salt was more generally used .
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Good job the slugs are still hibernating, I'm sure they would hate all that salt!!! Cant be much good for frogs either :shock: (f+
Looove chucks!