Uses for plastic tubs/boxes?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
elljay
Lively Laner

Uses for plastic tubs/boxes?

Post by elljay »

Not sure whether this is frugal or eco, but I am drowning under a sea of plastic tubs! I use anything with a lid like butter tubs for single portions of whatever I want to freeze, then big ones without lids are used for hen food or water, I put cosmetics etc into others in my drawers, I have enough seed trays to see me through the next 10 years, lunches at work fill a few more, and a million other things - however pretty much all of them get washed and reused so the pile never really goes down - so what else can I use them for? I don't have a lot of storage space but a whole kitchen cupboard is full of the things.

I wonder if I can make anything useful with them? Ilona where are you?

Thanks

Liz
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I use alot on the allotment and and in the kitchen.

I try not to buy processed foods so do not have many.
I find I need to buy containers rather than dispose of them.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

My dad uses marge tubs to sort his screws into.

Easy to put in his tool box and if one breaks there will be another one along soon enough to replace it!
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Floella Benjamin and Derek Griffiths used to make a lot of shakers. Just add some dried peas for a fun musical time!

Also seen on Rainbow - Zippy was a bit of a virtuoso on the shaker - & as used on the latest U2 album (made that last bit up, admittedly, but it could be true)
piglets_girl
Learner Laner

Post by piglets_girl »

Hi Elljay,

Like you I'm surrounded by plastic boxes, all shapes and sizes. I haven't been able to make anything new and exciting out of them but as you say they have endless uses as they are.

The see through ones with lids are great for craft and sewing stuff. I have different boxes for ink pads, buttons, yarn, thread, stencils, stamps, punchies, shiny bits, beads etc and they all stack on top of each other. When knitting I have a container with a hole in the top, the yarn's in the box and unwinds as I knit - saves the wool rolling all over the floor!!

I keep different types of string and garden twine in the same way, ready for use but neat and tidy in the shed. The containers are also good for storing seeds, pond treatments and other garden bits. I start off my seeds in these boxes too, I pierce the lids with holes. The lid keeps the moisture in and safe until the seedlings come up.

Hi Orfy,
I get my containers from the local corner shop - they're the tubes and boxes that the penny sweets come in. Our shop gives them away for free and has a constant supply, complete with lids.

p-g
"You can't stay in your corner of the forest, waiting for others to come to you; you have to go to them sometimes" - Piglet
elljay
Lively Laner

Hi all, my name's Elizabeth and I collect plastic boxes.....

Post by elljay »

Oh dear, I don't do crafts. Perhaps I'd better start! Thanks for the ideas everyone.

We have a local cafe that gives away fab plastic tubs for a donation to charity. I'm often so tempted to get some. Perhaps it's the addiction I need to deal with! They just all look so useful.

Liz
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

piglets_girl wrote:I get my containers from the local corner shop - they're the tubes and boxes that the penny sweets come in. Our shop gives them away for free and has a constant supply, complete with lids.
p-g

Sounds good.
I bought 100 chinese take-away tubs for around £6 and split them with a friend. After a few years of use I'm down to about 30
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
teetee
Learner Laner

Post by teetee »

marg tubs (rectangle) can be cut into strips, sides, lid and bottom to be used as plant/seed lables. )t'