Ladies - an alternative for 'those days'

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Ladies - an alternative for 'those days'

Post by Emmamoo »

I just spotted this

wimins things

I didn't quite know where to post this and it's a delicate subject with a lot of guys on here - but it's another green alternative for us.

:oops:

Apologies for TMI!
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Bessie21
Lively Laner

Post by Bessie21 »

now i've read the whole thing it sounds like a good idea, i've seen the moon-cup thing before and didn't like the idea of that as it looked like it would be uncomfortable,

although i don't think i'd feel comfortable using this wen out and about it sounds good for at home, and inexpensive too, 2 birds with one stone,
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I know how you feel Emma, I posted a few months ago about cloth san pro/mooncups. I have some cloth san pro on order from a wahm who also makes colth nappy covers and am going to get a mooncup once they arrive.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

Oh I am so relieved I had some replies! I thought it was a good idea for home, but I couldn't wear one out. Mind you if it worked ok at home then why not out. I think you'd know if it was safe.

I hate all these women's monthlies products simply because they are so bad for us - esp with the whole TSS thing. (toxic shock syndrome for any guys wondering what that is - it's nasty thing you can get because of the bleach they put in lady plugs.)

Sainsburys where I live doesn't sell anything that it 'eco friendly' when it comes to toiletries.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well there's not much you cannot get on ebay!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Sorry to say this, it's most definitely not the bleach but TSS is actually from a toxin produced by a Staphlococcus aureus infection from poor hygiene (hence the additives! TSS was quite common among teenage girls & young women when tampons were first introduced until it was discovered what caused the deaths) S. aureus is a common skin bacteria found on everyone - it is also responsible for food poisoning where food is not cooked properly and then kept warm creating perfect incubation)
madmum
Legendary Laner

My daughter!

Post by madmum »

My daughter is only eleven and wants to use tampons as she is very active and sporty )t'She might benefit from these as opposed to the usual
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
TURFEY21
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY21 »

I have also seen the mooncups and thought what a good idea they were but thought they would be uncomfortable.

I would love to try something that would actually work instead of tampons and pads (we should get them free) the cost per month can be anywhere from £2 - £5 which soon adds up per year doesn't it.

I was curious about these luna sponges but it doesn't tell you the size of them and how easy they are to retrieve (sorry if that is to :oops: for some people)
springkell
Learner Laner

Post by springkell »

Give the mooncup a go. It is incredibly comfortable. Much more so than the other alternatives out there.
You really don't know its there!
Although its costly to buy, its made of surgical grade silicone and lasts indefinately so has already saved me a small fortune, not to mention the ecological benefits.

had mine for over a year and highly recommended.
lolladipips
Learner Laner

Post by lolladipips »

I've been using the Mooncup for over 3 years, and it's amazing. Wouldn't use anything else! I had never heard of it before then, and when I did hear about it, I was really mad that I had never even been told or informed that there even WAS an alternative to towels or tampons out there. I felt cheated! I think everyone should know the alternative, but i figure it was par-for the course in big brands controlling the market. I was pleased to hear that Boots are now stocking Monncups, and urge everyone who might need one to seriously consider buying one!
It's very comfortable to use - feels so much more natural than anything else!
It's easy to use everywhere - yep, even in public restrooms - just carry a small bottle of water in your handbag...(which is good for you anyway!). You will probably need to practise insertion at home until you're happy with it, but you'll get the hang of it very quickly.
you can do absolutely everything you'd normally do, and I've never had any problems with leakage, Swimming, running, sleeping - think of the corny tampon ads with ladies in white trousers playing tennis, and you have it!

And to get to the slightly embarrasing nitty gritty that people might want to know but are embarrased to ask, or questions that people might wonder...
It's less 'aromatic' than towels/tampons...
It leaves you more naturally moist, and thus comfortable than tampons/towels... (especially good for those prone to irritations/infections)
Once your period starts and you use it, you're never cuaght short without tampons/towels (coz it's there, and resusable!) - also great if you're going on holidays, because of luggage allowances and lack of availability of your chosen product in various countries...
You're not contributing to landfill with packaging & products each month...
And apart from anything else, I haven't had to spend money on tampons/towels for over 3 years, and I won't again into the foreseeable future!! It only cost me £19 + £1 postage (to Japan at the time) and has been an amazing money saver!
So go for it!
(wow, long post... but something I feel strongly about!)
Claire32
Learner Laner

Post by Claire32 »

Oooh yes, I love my moon cup too! I'd thought about it for years but I thought it might be a bit yucky so I just didn't bother. Then after I had my daughter I thought I'd give it a go. It is a little bit expensive at first (I think I paid about £20 on ebay) but when you think how long it will last and how much you'd spend on the alternatives, it's not really. It takes a little bit of practice to insert it, but no more than tampons, and then its really comfortable, I dont know it's there and I've never had a leak. It's so much more comfortable than the alternatives, saves you money and is better for the environment. And it really isn't yucky after all!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I posted on the thread in members only - I got my cloth pads at the weekend and they are great )t'
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

I have had my mooncup for years - Cannot go back now to towels/tampons yuck

I dont feel restricted in any way using it have gone on 8 mile runs using it

Also have no problems in public toilets just do the bottle of water thing
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Re: Ladies - an alternative for 'those days'

Post by ChooksAway! »

Hear hear! Mooncups are fab!!! Go get one ladies!!!

CA!
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Re: Ladies - an alternative for 'those days'

Post by Dinchy »

Do it. Do it. Go buy a mooncup. I have been using mine for about 3 years now and couldn't imagine using anything else. It is comfortable, safe, convienent, easy to use etc.etc. and it saves you money in the long run.
Diane