How do I persuade/educate...

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

How do I persuade/educate...

Post by heebiejeebie »

...my husband to recycle?

At the moment we have separate bins for compostable waste, glass & cans, paper, everything else. I'm also trying to store plastic bottles and cardboard drinks cartons because I can take them to the recycling point myself.

However, this has been declared "too complicated" and beyond his understanding (he has a Ph.D. ffs) and I end up picking stuff out of the kitchen bin that shouldn't be there.

We have a really small kitchen so having 5 bins is not an option.

Ideas please!
There's no cure for stupidity.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Three options.

#1 Make it a pain if he doesn't do it.
#2 Make it pleasant if he does it
#3 Both of the above.

1. Nag him and "make" him sort the bins when they are full.
2. Make it a game and treat him if he does well. Make a fuss of him.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wilma
Lively Laner

Post by wilma »

move to where i live cos all the recycling goes into 1 bin thats glass plastic paper cardboard etc just a seperate one for composting!!
coucil know we are a bit simple here :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Heebie, do you have to store all your recycled stuff in the kitchen? Do you have a shed, or a garage, or an outhouse? I have one tall cupboard in the kitcken which I took the bottom shelf out of, there is room for three medium size plastic swing lid bins, and a plastic bucket with a lid for the veg waste.

The two bins at the back don't have lids on, I can drop the plastic and carboard into one, and tins and glass into the other, without moving the front ones. The front bin has a liner in it and a lid, for general non recyclable waste, and my plastic bucket is next to it.

When these fill up it's easy to take the bins out and put the contents into the big council bins and boxes. By the way, not all plastic is recyclable, you have to look at the symbol stamped on the bottom, blimey OH will never get used to that. :?

If you don't have room in your kitchen can you make an area outside the back door.

As for getting your OH to join in, his excuses are childish, just keep going on at him. Stick a big notice on your general waste bin saying
STOP do you really need to put that in here?

Ilona
)t'
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

Us husbands know that the whole recycling thing is a great con and because there is now no market for plastic and paper it all goes to land fill anyway )de: